Lowering PH naturally

Godly3vil

What is the hardness (GH/KH)? Without knowing that it is hard to say what you need to do, if it is low a bit of driftwood or peat should do the trick, but if its high you'll be pushing the proverbial uphill unless you go for something like RO or rainwater for water changes.

Leave them 24 hrs and retest.

Its always been high since I moved in, I don't think much is going to change in the next 24 hours. I'll give it a go though and let you know. I was thinking maybe the pipes that supply my house might be to blame? any thoughts on this?

I'm not sure about the GH/KH as I havn't got a test kit for it (I know, but I'm a poor student).

LFS should be able to test it for you, take a sample of your tap water in. Otherwise you could try collecting rain water and start using a small amount of that each water change until the pH starts to drop. Too much and it will be unstable though. Is there anything in the tank (substrate, rocks etc) that could be making it high?

I have only lived here 2 years (Tay Street) but Ph tests I have done in the past were always around 7.2 dropping to about 6.8 overnight. Tomorrow night I will check my storage water (1000L) and post result.

Went and purchased another ph test kit today just to be sure it wasn't a dodgy test or w/e, after running the tap for 35minutes still readin 7.5+.... so don't know. Think I might just go hunting for some more driftwood. Also any idea where I could get some peat from to add to my filter?

after running the tap for 35minutes still readin 7.5

Waste of perfectly good water, there's no need to do that. Just put the water in an open container, somewhere out of the way and test it a day later.

I have never had a problem with pH in my tanks. And I have never tested for it since I was first learning fish keeping.

Do you run a "high-tech planted tank" presumably with CO2 and never check the pH? How do you know you don't have a problem with it if you've never checked it?

I have never had a problem with pH in my tanks. And I have never tested for it since I was first learning fish keeping. When the LFS says... "you need this... and this... and this". waste of money. Driftwood and plants keeps my tanks pH low.

I've never brought anything that the main LFS has told me to, they are pretty un-informed when it comes to fish in my opinion. Not helpful at all and they don't seem very interested either. I do believe you should always have the main test kits just in case something goes terribly wrong. 99% of people agree with me and so does every book I've read on the subject. Better to be safe than sorry if you ask me.