what to put in my new pond

Dairyman149

We are building a large pond/lake for irrigation currently. Approx 3ha. would like to put some fish in it to add a bit of intrest and maybe a bit of fishing. (dare i say that here). Anyway what fish are around that are suitible for a lake of approx 3m depth and can handle cold water in canterbury. lake will be set up so 0 risk of fish getting back to rivers. Was thinking trout but read somewhere that you can't farm trout so that would mean getting fish would be a problem. salmon maybe but don't have endless money to throw at it. Are there any sort of carp or perch that you are allowed that can grow big enough for some catch are release fishing. Any input would be great. thanks

because its not joined to any waterways legally you may be able to keep goldfish but i dont reccommend it :digH: , perhaps talk to doc and they may help out with natives , i dont reccommend taking natives from there natural environment to put in an artificial one but in this case with a lack of predators like trout they may do alright, as for trout and salmon it may not be worth the paperwork or hassles