We are a dirty species of animal

we are :cry:

I would have expected there to be a hundredfold or so increase, since at the start of the 70s plastic wasn't used much and must take a while to get from salepoint to floating garbage patch. And if we stopped using plastic tomorrow it'd probably still increase for a while as it caught up. But it's very sad that we're nowhere near thinking about it and probably wont stop the plastic littering until we run out of plastic :(

I love the potato fibre stuff they use to make plates and cups and now meat trays out of, we ought to be demanding that everything possible is made out of it or similar products. Save the planet, and save paying to get rid of rubbish if you can just put the packaging into the compost :happy2:

Humans disgust me :an!gry Most horrible species to have ever lived. I hope that everyone realises what they're doing sometime soon, or there isn't going to be a future left for anything on this planet.

I don't understand why we have to package things up in horrible plastic stuff :dunno: I would just as happily buy food in paper bags :D

horrible plastic stuff

It's not plastics fault... and it is not horrible... Plastic is a great material and there are lots of nice plastics around that are biodegradable and plastics are really good at sealing stuff so we can keep it longer. Where would you and your fish tank be if you could not use plastic?

It's the handling that is the problem.. yes it's terrible now but I think one day we'll get it mostly right.

I am currently in Rwanda and plastic bags are an illegal item.

I saw the doco on that, amazing work they've done over the last few years.

Apparently up to 1/3 of all sand on any given beach is plastic :(

Apparently up to 1/3 of all sand on any given beach is plastic :(

The others may think that's made up, but it is true. After the Rena's last dump of containers they were having to clean up bags of raw plastic bits before they spread.

A first year paper I did had a beach clean up as an assignment, the class collected over 50,000 pieces of rubbish from about 20 beaches.