Help Help Help Fish arriving... dont know if tank is cycled

aaron11

Ok peeps Angel fish filter is in the 3 foot tank

Wont be putting Guppies in the tank in the lounge as just scored ten baby platys for in there..

Thats the tank with the white spot where the 2 fish who hasd it died

the other 2 remaing fish seem ok..

So looks like ill be busy with lots of water changes :P

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Squirt

I cant afford that at the moment.. but will make it a prioirty

My friend has one i will ask her when she comes over to bring it

At least if i get one then I will know if anything is going on

I had ammonia years ago from too much fish and had to water change all the time was a right pain only lost a few thou

:digH:

Oh squirt you mean i take the water to the shop and get it checked when i get the fish??

ill ask my friend to bring her kitt if she aint still got it ill get a test

i have a small tank for sale when i sell that ill get the test kitt !

Yay getting there slowly

what does one of them cost

All in one will set you back ~$60 that's ammonia nitrite nitrate pH ect.

Yeah, most pet shops will offer this service you may want to ask first :thup:

Thanks when I get paid and have the money I will get one

This is why im breedin the fish to make some $$$ to buy stuff for my pets :sml1:

Do not wash the filter out at all unless the flow is restricted, then only rinse lightly in tank water enough to return the flow. It is the muck in the filter that holds and feeds the bacteria that you are looking for. If you wash the filter clean you wash all the good stuff down the drain and start cycling again.

Do not wash the filter out at all unless the flow is restricted, then only rinse lightly in tank water enough to return the flow. It is the muck in the filter that holds and feeds the bacteria that you are looking for. If you wash the filter clean you wash all the good stuff down the drain and start cycling again.

Thank you the guppies will be here in a few days i cant wait !!!!!

They should be fine as i will keep doin water changes

You can do as many and as big a water change as you like if you do it properly. I have frequently done 80-90% water changes without a problem. There are some rules:

Make sure the temperature is the same as in the tank

Make sure the chemistry is close to the same as in the tank.

You achieve this by doing regular water changes, even daily so the tank does not get time to change the hardness and pH too much.

This is a technique that importers and serious breeders use when tanks are heavily over crowded and works well if you stick to doing regular changes.

Get rid of chlorine and chloramines if they are in your water supply.

You can do as many and as big a water change as you like if you do it properly. I have frequently done 80-90% water changes without a problem. There are some rules:

Make sure the temperature is the same as in the tank

Make sure the chemistry is close to the same as in the tank.

You achieve this by doing regular water changes, even daily so the tank does not get time to change the hardness and pH too much.

This is a technique that importers and serious breeders use when tanks are heavily over crowded and works well if you stick to doing regular changes.

Get rid of chlorine and chloramines if they are in your water supply.

Excellent thank you for your help

Ive had tanks for years and always washed the filters under the tap omg now i know why my fish die !

THIS TANK THAT IM TALKIN ABOUT has been runnning for about two weeks with the filter but i washed it out under the tap

the heater is comign today so will put that in.. i put the angel fish filter in there too...

IS filter wool just as good as a sponge in my Ehimen 2010 filter?????

I am goin to buy an external filter later would that help with having about 50 guppies in a 3 foot tank???

Great put the gavel in must of not washed it all proplery now the water is all dirty

NO heater yet... Should i change some of the water or let the muck settle

This is the last lot of tanks for me im gonna sell the lot next year

Fish coming today

yay and some plants

I will be doing 20 percent water changes daily plus getting an amnoia test kitt i have a PH one that will do until i can afford the whole kitt

Any other advice greatly received thank you

Trinox lost all or most of his guppies recently in a disaster. Perhaps you could do a swap for some guppies with him for a partially used ammonia test kit? Just a thought since you may be getting too many guppies for your current filtration system to cope.

Trinox lost all or most of his guppies recently in a disaster. Perhaps you could do a swap for some guppies with him for a partially used ammonia test kit? Just a thought since you may be getting too many guppies for your current filtration system to cope.

We are going to do a swap later

I have 2 filters going int he tank but will get an external once the tank has settled down.

the man I got the fish off has 100s of guppies in his tank so should be fine and its the same as mine

BUT i have had ammonia before from too many fish im goin to buy an ammonia test kitt now on trademe and get it durin the week so should be ok

ive done a 20 percent water change already today will do it again each day until i get the kitt

Lovely guppies

Those girls are stunning, congrats :)

Not often you see them with decent colour :bounce:

Thanks.. there are a few albino ones in there too and an albino girl

It will look better when I get a black backing.. and a new tube for my two foot light..

Do you think the two foot light will do Or should i just buy a 3 foot??

One is pick is only one and a bit and old as tube