Help Help Help Fish arriving... dont know if tank is cycled

aaron11

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My filter gets clogged with silt and plant gunk that doesn't get to decompose into the sand (compared to gravel that lets the crap sit around longer), it's not necessarily caused by too much feeding. My loach tank filter sponge has to be rinsed every 4-6 weeks to get the flow going again. Also washing in tank water isn't harmful, it's only untreated tap water that should be avoided. Maybe a few bacteria get dislodged in the rinsing but it can't be much or I'd be seeing mini cycles. IMO :cofn:

My filter gets clogged with silt and plant gunk that doesn't get to decompose into the sand (compared to gravel that lets the crap sit around longer), it's not necessarily caused by too much feeding. My loach tank filter sponge has to be rinsed every 4-6 weeks to get the flow going again. Also washing in tank water isn't harmful, it's only untreated tap water that should be avoided. Maybe a few bacteria get dislodged in the rinsing but it can't be much or I'd be seeing mini cycles. IMO :cofn:

Thanks Sophia I only feed a little bit I learnt that years ago.. My filter dont have a sponge at the moment as I have got other things to get, 3 foot light is coming... anyhow the wool gets clogged quiet fast.. so i just rinse it out. there is 2 filters in the tank until I get my external later

Sounds like a good compromise. When you get your filter sponge or whatever is going in there you might be able to pack the wool in with it to get the new stuff established with bacteria. If it doesn't fit you could stuff it in a stocking and hang it in the tank for a few weeks.

Sounds like a good compromise. When you get your filter sponge or whatever is going in there you might be able to pack the wool in with it to get the new stuff established with bacteria. If it doesn't fit you could stuff it in a stocking and hang it in the tank for a few weeks.

Thanks sophia will do that when i change the filter later

• 2 weeks later...

Still no test kitt but getting one

No deaths what so ever fish are fine but still keep changing a few buckets of water

Then will work towards an external filter as I will be having 100s of guppies in my 3 foot tank.....

If i get an external will i still need weekly water changes???

Thank you

you are ALWAYS going to have waterchanges...

The FREQUENCY and actual amounts vary depending onthe situation...

Imagine a waterchange as opening a window in a stuffy room...

Ok thanks the tank is under a window which is a bit higher than it so wont go green but can change the water easily

And these new showers with the handle and long thing you can buy an attachment to hook upto that so i just use the hose!!!!! yay