April 3, 201214 yr comment_479187 I'm very excited as my kribensis fry have become free swimming today :bounce: Only one problem.. its a 240L with the 2 parents, probably 80 fry, and a school of neons, rummy nose and zebra danios. The parents are trying to kill the others. Would it be easier to remove the parents and fry, or all the other fish? Also is it possible to just remove the fry into their own tank or will they die without the parents? Report
April 3, 201214 yr comment_479188 You could try moving the parents and the fry, syphon the fry out with a piece of air line tubing. I would be more inclined to move the fry along with their parents, good for Mum and Dad to get the hang of what they should be doing with their fry. Congats on the fry too :thup: Report
April 3, 201214 yr comment_479193 Move the other fish and leave the fry and parents together. The more you disturb them the more likely it is for the parents to eat the fry. Well done and good luck! Report
April 3, 201214 yr comment_479196 I would siphon off the babies and rear them in another tank on their own. Get a few more tanks because the parents will go again in a week or so. Report
April 3, 201214 yr Author comment_479199 Thanks everyone I wont know what to do with them all soon! Report
April 3, 201214 yr Author comment_479206 Yes i'm worried about that.. the LFS will probably take them when they are bigger though. I have a question about sponge filters.. how do they work? I have seen them on tm etc, what do I attach them to? Report
April 3, 201214 yr comment_479225 They have an airlift which causes a reduction in pressure so that water is pushed through the sponge and out the outlet tube along with the air bubbles. Connected to a normal air pump. Safe as with fry in a bare tank. Report
April 3, 201214 yr Author comment_479238 Ok sweet so if I bought this http://www.ebay.com/itm/160584265290/ I would just need to attach an air pump with standard airline tubing?? Report
April 4, 201214 yr Author comment_479339 Hey Guys, heres a pic Proud mummy I am first fish I have ever bred Report
April 4, 201214 yr comment_479363 :thup: Congrats on your first breeding I hope you realize what this means?? MTS, and it's on its way to a home near you Report
April 4, 201214 yr Author comment_479431 MTS= Malaysian trumpet snails??? I dont get it... Lol Report
April 4, 201214 yr comment_479434 They look more like taeniatus to me could just be photo though Report
April 4, 201214 yr comment_479437 I did think they looked abit more slender than my Kribs :roll: Maybe they are taeniatus ?? Report
April 5, 201214 yr comment_479454 I did think they looked abit more slender than my Kribs :roll: Maybe they are taeniatus ?? I think they might just be young parents? Congrats on the fry! Kribs are such good fish and yours are looking nice and healthy :thup: Report
April 5, 201214 yr Author comment_479480 Haha yes! I have 3 so far. Not really much room for anymore, but would love more tanks Would love to start a saltwater tropical, and maybe a large malawi tank Report
April 5, 201214 yr Author comment_479481 BTW thanks everyone for nice comments! You are right, He is quite slender, she is quite round and more krib like. Is it possible for both types to breed together? Report
April 5, 201214 yr Author comment_479486 They get plenty to eat, bloodworms and flakes everyday. Report
April 5, 201214 yr Author comment_479558 I have been told by a friend it is unsafe to do a water change while there are fry in the tank as they are sensitive to this. Is this correct...? Report
April 5, 201214 yr comment_479560 It depends how often and how much water change you do. If you do regular water changes the change in chemistry will be minor. If you do water changes rarely the changes may be great. The risk is in the changes to the conditions and not the water change. Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.