Help starting out breeding

siftyzod

Hi there

i am looking for some help on fish breeding.

I currently have black neon tetras columbian tetras kranbinsis tbars and convicts i am trying to breed.

Not one breeding pair is even remotely interested in breeding.

have been trying to condition etc for almost a year and never had any eggs

the guppies are doing ok in a year i have 30 babies that im raising up.

so can anyone tell me what is the best way to get them to breed.

all the females are full of eggs but when put with males dont do anything?

the tetras all have peat water and hte other fish are all been fed live food.

the tetra tank ph level is around 6.0-6.5 so and all egg laying tanks have a mesh in the bottom to stop the parents eating the eggs

so im not sure what i am missing here

can anyone enlighten me on what i can try next as i have exhusted all internet sites and am just going in circles now

Please any help would be great

ps . i have no idea how to check the water hardness or softness so no point in asking me anything about that

Thanks

Try to focus on getting one fish to breed. If you have all those fish in one tank, it is most likely that the other fish will just eat all the eggs. First you have to look at; do you have enough room for 100 fry if they do spawn? Secondly, once you've selected on what one fish you want to breed, find out the requirements to breed them (cold water changes, pH, temperature, feeding ect). My idea is to put them in one species tank to try and get them to breed.

HTH

The tetras will need their own breeding tank and special conditions re pH, spawning material, lighting etc.

Kribs and convicts usually just need water.

If you are serious about breeding you need a separate tank for the breeding pair otherwise the eggs and/or fry get eaten and, as said, you need to consider what you will do with the fry.

The tetras will need their own breeding tank and special conditions re pH, spawning material, lighting etc.

Kribs and convicts usually just need water.

If you are serious about breeding you need a separate tank for the breeding pair otherwise the eggs and/or fry get eaten and, as said, you need to consider what you will do with the fry.

Hi there

sorry my bad i should have put all the fish are in different tanks a pair to a tank

thanks

As said above you need to separate the different species to different tanks.. then research (google) as much info on each species as you can regarding keeping and breeding and then try to create whatever is required for each species in each tank.

You can't just plonk a whole bunch of different fish together in one tank and expect them to do "what fish does". Fish are different you know.. with different needs and different ways of doing things.

I think what siftyzod is trying to say is that he already has put each pair into their own tank, and has been trying for a year to get each pair to breed by simulating their natural environment as best as they can, in an aquarium, and they were wondering if we have some magic "aha!" hint that will make it work.

Have you tried a trio instead of a pair? Sometimes a bit of competition gets them going.

Have you tried separating them for two weeks? Sometimes welcome home piow piow works.

Hope this helps

Hi

just to clear up a couple of things i forget to add

i only have 1 pair of fish in each tank i have a few tanks setup for breeding

today i put all the kribinsis in the same tank and hoping they will spawn.

the convicts are doing nothing but sitting there

the black neons doing nothing

columbian tetras doing nothing

danios doing nothing

tbars doing nothing

i am sure there is something i am missing in the breeding stage i condition the fish with live food small water changes etc read up on each fish and how to get them to breed....fish that are suppose to be easy to breed just do nothing have sold off other breeding pairs and within days of the new owner having them spawn...

so if im missing something would be really keen to knwo what it is as its doing my head in :)

Glenn

I think that by putting all the kribs in one tank you have a better chance of them pairing up. Just make sure you give them plenty of plant cover and rocks/caves for them to spawn on. Apart from that all you can do it wait it out. Try giving a good feed of bloodworms followed by a decent, say 50% water change. Often that triggers a spawning.

I take it you are on tap water as opposed to tank water.

I think that by putting all the kribs in one tank you have a better chance of them pairing up. Just make sure you give them plenty of plant cover and rocks/caves for them to spawn on. Apart from that all you can do it wait it out. Try giving a good feed of bloodworms followed by a decent, say 50% water change. Often that triggers a spawning.

I take it you are on tap water as opposed to tank water.

thank you heaps we are going to give them a feed of bloodworms now and will do a 50%water change once they consume all the food we put in

thank you heaps

Sorry for the misunderstanding..

Sounds to me you are doing things right... Kribs and convicts are known for breeding in almost any conditions so it's a bit weird they have done nothing.

Assuming you have both male and female I can only think that it could be water quality.. Do you change the water often and have good bio filtration?

oh yeah and like Geoff said give the kribs some sort of cave.. that helps

Sorry for the misunderstanding..

Sounds to me you are doing things right... Kribs and convicts are known for breeding in almost any conditions so it's a bit weird they have done nothing.

Assuming you have both male and female I can only think that it could be water quality.. Do you change the water often and have good bio filtration?

oh yeah and like Geoff said give the kribs some sort of cave.. that helps

Hi there

yes aim to do a 20% water change weekly and filters are all good.. not sure what else to try

Barry White??? :thup:

It hard to determine exactly what each pairs problem might be in one succinct explanation...

All I can suggest is try find as much information possible about each individual species breeding habits.

Sometimes water change can bring it on, sometimes it is pH dependent, sometimes light dependent, or whatever...

And depending on requirements for the eggs to survive (some are light sensitive, some get fungus easier, some are sticky, some might need a specific temp/pH etc).

So as you can see, there are far to many variables that any one particular thing that you may be doing or not doing would have you not seeing a result.

The hardest variable being stock quality (almost totally out of your control) and whether there is any noticeable sexual dimorphism,so that you can guarantee that you have a decent M:F ratio...

Speaking of which, you may also find breeding trio's are a good idea for most (but not all) species.

My advice to you is, choose one species you REALLY want to get breeding, research the **** out of it and concentrate on that, then move onto your others.

Google is your friend! :thup:

found out why convicts wont breed they are two males were told they were thought to be a pair but they wernt to sure themselfs so now brought some more still a bit young yet but will be ok when they are bigger did a 50% water change on the kribs and fed them bloodworms last night also moved a rock round to give them more room to get under them as that seems to be what they like so hoping to see results tonight or tommorrow am also waiting on almond leaves that should arrive tommorow for the tetras :) have a tank for females and for males and have been feeding them live food such as mosquito larvae and microworms as well as bloodworms