Strange smelling sand :-(

LYNDYLOO

Hi Guys,

Decided this afternoon I would re-arrange my Malawai Tank, upon removing the Rocks etc I noticed a disgusting smell, said to my son " Can you smell that foul smell" He replied "Yup, it smells like a dead puffer fish from out the beach"

Have only had the sand in the tank for about a month, I do regular Water changes, usually twice a week, but don't probe into the sand just suck the crap off the top of it.

Not sure what is causing this revolting smell, have checked for dead fish, have found nothing, have done a good waterchange, not sure what I should be doing next if anything.

Could there be a build up of bad bacteria in the sand, giving it this shocking smell??

Beginning to think going from gravel to sand was not such a good idea.

Not sure on the source of the smell but a good habit when cleaning sand substrate is to siphon out the visable poo then aerate the sand with your hand to remove any gas build ups from trapped waste. It could be coming from the waste trapped under rocks but it shouldn't smell like a dead fish! I tend to do turn about with my water changes - one week I'll clean around rocks and what I can see and get too then the next week I'll take the rocks out and give it a good clean then rearrange the tank. Seems to help spark breeding which is a plus!

If the sand is too deep it can culture anaerobic bacteria which can produce some foul smelling gasses such as sulphur dioxide (rotten eggs) and methyl mercaptan which is one of the compounds tested for when guaging the offensiveness of large commercial composting operations and is so strong that about a cup full is added to a tanker of LPG (which has no odour) so leaks can be detected. It smells like rotten cabbage. Rotten fish produces a lot of ammonia amongst other things.

I use sand in my aquariums for growing plants and do not stir it up but it is only about 25-40mm deep. It causes no problems. I have had it a lot deeper in the past without a problem also. It may be that any excess food is being stirred up in the sand and the subsequent decomposition is anaerobic then.

Sand is probably about 40-50mm at the back and 20ish at the front.

I wouldn't have thought I would need to stir it up, as the fish continuously move it around.

So what should I be doing now??

To be honest I'm finding the sand a right pain in the butt :an!gry At least with the gravel I could have a good poke around with the gravel vac to get all the crap out.

Vaccing the top of the sand and not giving it a good stir around will not get rid of all the detritus. You need to stir the sand around as suggested, this will stir up any detritus that may have moved to the bottom of the substrate, dont rely on your fish to stir it up as they will only really sift the top layers of sand and waste will slowly make it way to the bottom layers.

Thinking about changing my substrate now :dunno:

Maybe going to black smaller sized gravel, at least I should be able to gravel vac it then, the white silica sand looked fab to begin with but now it's not looking so hot :evil:

All a learning curve :wink:

First try dropping the sand level to half the amount you have maybe even more at the rear. I found it was the fact I would not have been getting right into the bottom with the siphon. Of course you suck some up but I just put it back.

What tank is it in?

Thinking about changing my substrate now :dunno:

Maybe going to black smaller sized gravel, at least I should be able to gravel vac it then, the white silica sand looked fab to begin with but now it's not looking so hot :evil:

All a learning curve :wink:

You can gravel vac fine grade argonite and it gives you the added benefit of a bit of PH buffering. A 25kg bag should set you back about $50. Coral sand is another option.