15 years off and I start with this...

Dana

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's some calcium that Murphy himself would never shift on the back of the filter unit but that's all that's left really.

The glass is scratched due to the previous owners attempts (slaps him upside the head) but it's not overly visible when full.

Back ground next. Will start next week :)

:hail::hail: Awesome job...doesn't even look like the same tank! Looks like it is new.

Back to the calcium, what worked best...I had tried vinegar before and didn't help at all!

Congrats on a job well done :bounce:

Caper

Vinegar didn't touch the calcium. The algae was so engrained that I have noticed a few stains on the glass now it's settled down, even after hours of soaking and a toothbrush. I should have taken pics of the powerhead and attachments. 20mm tube blocked solid with green goo that had dried to a hard crust.

CLR 30 Second wash from Bunnings (about $15.00) was the only thing that would work. Did some research and as best I can tell (don't hold me to it) this seems to be the product with a residue that should wash away cleanly. No oils etc.

Just ticked off at the old owner who cleaned it before I grabbed it, but with what appears to be the hardest wire brush known to man...should be ok with water.

It's still empty. Just enjoying it being clean for a while haha.

• 3 weeks later...

LOL, Yeah I spotted the evil grin on the other side too. The naked woman though....? :sml1:

I knew I'd never be able to live with it, knowing it was smiling at me, so I gave it the bash lol. Couple of coats of paint and I've come up with this.

Made a mistake, bought poly (got a full sized 80mm sheet for three bucks from bunnings as it was chipped) but it's not very fine. Resulted in a honey comb effect with the heat gun which looks quite cool, but sealing it will be a challenge....

6974221178_11611dcd3a.jpg

rocks by danaj2009, on Flickr