Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Aquarium World

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Dana

Members
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Dana

  1. Dana posted a topic in Freshwater
    So my 6 clowns will be heading on a new adventure, as upgrading my tank from a 215ltr just isn't in the budget. I love loaches, and the LFS has some Kubotai and Striata. Google isn't being a whole lot of help when comparing the two. I'm interested to hear others opinions of these two and which is easier/more active/less likely for me to kill it. Tank mates are 4 glass cats, Bob the bristlenose and one lonely dwarf gourami. The shop did have females which surprised me. Should I get one to cheer to poor little blighter up? No intention of breeding, can't see any surviving anyway with loaches around. Thoughts?
  2. Top pic is the latest, the other 2 are 6-12 months old.
  3. For the Honey Dwarf. Could someone please settle an argument I'm having with a friend. Boy or girl? I say boy. Pics are all of the same fish. IMG_18591 by danaj2009, on Flickr the end for Ira by danaj2009, on Flickr IMG_0993 by danaj2009, on Flickr
  4. It depends where you are. E.g. Ashhurst is on bore, and has a Manganese problem. I also have phosphates in my tap water. If you are worried, Wet Pets has a filtered tap outside for clean water. A small charge per container. They say Palmy tap water is not safe, but I couldn't tell you why. The council links explain water safety for humans, but I struggled to get info on safety levels for aquariums. Aside from the manganese popping up sometimes, the water seems ok so far.
  5. Dana replied to jasonnz's topic in Freshwater
    PHOTOS!!!
  6. Dana replied to Dana's topic in Freshwater
    Done the math, and a tank upgrade is not in the budget at the mo. Have listed these guys as free to good home on the WTB section. Gutted, but my tank is just too small for them and it's only going to get worse. Such a shame. But better for the fish :tears: And it turns out they were playing dead. I was not impressed.
  7. Very cute. I do like them but wont be getting anymore. Here's my boy, the other two in the pic are in the fish thank in the sky... the end for Ira by danaj2009, on Flickr
  8. I suspect so with mine. I'm opting not to get a companion for the one I have left. He seems happy on his own so far and they all die within 12 months anyway. Joys of overbreeding. I'm leaving the space for my c/loaches, so I can sort out a larger tank in time.
  9. Colourful dwarfs are male. It's hard to come by females as they're small, brown and fairly nondescript. Dwarfs are supposed to live up to 4 years, but it's common for them to have short life spans. Defective fish in my opinion, but still very sweet and I love watching them when something new is introduced to the tank. Inquisitive little things.
  10. Bubble Oh Seven :rotf:
  11. How old was it? I've had 2 turn up their gills in the last couple of weeks. Healthy until the reach adulthood, then seem to age and the other fish deal to them. They just don't last. LFS says they're a defective fish.
  12. High Phosphates. Sounds like a double for my black manky 980 lol. IMG_1313 by danaj2009, on Flickr
  13. I have this one. Cute little guy. He's happy with my loaches, g/cats and Bob the bristle nose. He's the only survivor of 4 over the last 12 months. IMG_0993 by danaj2009, on Flickr
  14. Dana replied to Dana's topic in Freshwater
    I'm intrigued!! Tell me more
  15. Dana replied to Dana's topic in Freshwater
    Thanks and yes, it is something that needs to be addressed sooner rather than later. Anyone got a free 4ft tank?? :sml1: :sml1:
  16. Dana replied to Dana's topic in Freshwater
    Temp is 27. One of the smaller one plays dead at times, but never seen it with this one. ' Just checked levels again. All ok. Ammonia has come a teeny bit but changing water again now. Be gutted to lose him. Aim to keep them and invest in a larger tank when they get bigger.
  17. Dana posted a topic in Freshwater
    I have 6, the largest of around 10cm is not so hot this morning. Hiding in a cave, struggling to keep upright. Can't see any wounds or spots and he's not skinny. The others appear ok. No recent alterations to tank, last water change 3 days ago of 30%. I'm particular about contaminants. 215 ltr Ar980 All levels are withing acceptable range (high P04 but that's not new) Any suggestions?
  18. That's ok, I drained my tank and killed 6 orchids :sml1:
  19. Specifics please :slfg:
  20. 1) You get driftwood for your Birthday 2) Your LFS takes your license plate 3) Iced water at a cafe, and the first thing that pops into your head is your test kit 4) You own more than 5 test kits for accuracy 5) Your buckets are colour coded, in 19 varieties 6) Santa has "the list" 7) You inadvertently find out what blood worms taste like 8.) You don't mind the taste of blood worms 9) You stop wearing deodorant, in fear of poisoning your fish 10) Your sleeves are always wet 11) Carpet no longer matters 12) You flood your neighbors yard at 3am with a siphon hose
  21. My ghost cats didn't cope well when I high dosed with excel for BBA. Pulled back on the dosage and they came right. Lost 2 Gourami in the process too, but that could just be coincidence as they were getting a tad long in the tooth. I've also had kits give faulty readings with nitrates. One put me at 0 for 2 months running. Silly question, but do you shake the tube/bottle long enough? Makes a difference.
  22. I've had major ongoing issues with BBA. Also struggled with keeping plants alive. Identified the problem as extreme PO4. Got it under control with seachem phosphate remover, water changes twice per week and dosing with excel each week and keeping a close eye on what I feed & how often. When the phosphates rise, my nitrates crash to near zero, killing the plants and BBA takes over. It's messy stuff, and cleaning never seemed to stop it, had to try to keep it under control at the source. Have you checked the phosphate levels? Mine were 5 and should have been under .25, preferably zero.
  23. I don't think it's a good idea. Very few paints stay attached to glass, especially where any heat is present. I think it wouldn't take long for your fish to be eating paint chips...
  24. I'm interested to hear more about clove oil. I'm rather attached to my fishies, and although some might find it silly, bashing or stabbing them really does make me feel uncomfortable. I'd do it if it really was the best way though. I put this boy in the freezer because the other fish had taken out one of his eyes, and half his head. He was gone, but still the odd gasp. I volunteer for a breed specific rescue org (dogs), and I see horrid inhumane treatment at the hands of people. If I have to take a dog for it's last ride to the vet, then humane and gentle is my priority. I'd hope to do the same for my fish, as silly as it may sound.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.