My LDA72 have spawned!

fishy-fish

So I was cleaning my 400L african mbuna tank which also houses a trio of Ancistrus Triradiatus and I noticed a little orange ball while I was syphoning up poo so I took a look under a large piece of slate and BINGO there is my male LDA72 guarding a HUGE clutch of eggs! :happy2: Upon further inspection most of the eggs were beginning to wriggle so I made the decision to siphon them out and put them in their own tank. There must be close to 150 fry! Could it be possible that both females laid their eggs together for the male to guard? It just seems like a really big spawn! :o

I left the male in the big tank but should I have moved him to the fry tank? There are still a couple of egg clusters stuck together - will they be OK without the male? This is my first time raising pleco fry, so any advice would be greatly appreciated. I will post some pics tomorrow if I get around to it. :thup:

What where these fish sold to you as?, it is very unlikely these are more than Ancistrus sp3. Not many Ancistrus are pure strains in captivity and very very few are wild caught due to being relatively dull and cheap in comparison to most wild caught loricariidae.

Congratulations none the less!

Oh Man, what is it with you and all your fish spawning :facepalm: :slfg:

I personally would have moved dad aswell, they take wonderful care of their eggs, can you pop him in the tank that you now have the eggs in??

I bought a breeding trio (complete with eggs) of ya normal BN's, about a month ago, (not sure if yours are normal :slfg: ) pic on google of yours looks very similar to mine, a common bristlenose, the eggs where just at wriggler stage, made a breeding tank out of a oversized lunchbox with holes in the bottom and sides etc, floated it in the tank along with dad his cave and the bubs.

Came home the other day to find dad had gone into the smaller hole in his cave and clearly couldn't get back out :facepalm: so he is now DEAD :an!gry

I do have another male lined up so will see if he has what it takes for the girls to be attracted to him :wink:

I have just released the fry into a smaller tank, amasing how fast they grow.

Good Luck with yours :happy2:

What where these fish sold to you as?, it is very unlikely these are more than Ancistrus sp3. Not many Ancistrus are pure strains in captivity and very very few are wild caught due to being relatively dull and cheap in comparison to most wild caught loricariidae.

Congratulations none the less!

They were sold to me as LDA72 so I hope they are!

Oh Man, what is it with you and all your fish spawning :facepalm: :slfg:

I personally would have moved dad aswell, they take wonderful care of their eggs, can you pop him in the tank that you now have the eggs in??

I bought a breeding trio (complete with eggs) of ya normal BN's, about a month ago, (not sure if yours are normal :slfg: ) pic on google of yours looks very similar to mine, a common bristlenose, the eggs where just at wriggler stage, made a breeding tank out of a oversized lunchbox with holes in the bottom and sides etc, floated it in the tank along with dad his cave and the bubs.

Came home the other day to find dad had gone into the smaller hole in his cave and clearly couldn't get back out :facepalm: so he is now DEAD :an!gry

I do have another male lined up so will see if he has what it takes for the girls to be attracted to him :wink:

I have just released the fry into a smaller tank, amasing how fast they grow.

Good Luck with yours :happy2:

Sorry to hear about your male BN Lynda &c:ry

Mine might end up being common BN too :an!gry , I'll try and get some photos of mum & dad and post them here for confirmation.

My the parents are in a heavily landscaped tank at my work so I wouldn't be able to get the male until monday. Would that be too late?

About 75% are wrigglers now.

Yea I was gutted, never had a breeding trio before then he goes and does that :an!gry

Never mind hoping my other male will do the job just as good.

Maybe better leaving dad out now if it's been awhile since he has been with his eggs, probably wont be long and they will be at it again anyway :thup:

Good Luck :wink:

Mine might end up being common BN too :an!gry , I'll try and get some photos of mum & dad and post them here for confirmation.

Don't you hate when people sell fish based on a dodgy i.d. You pay good money for what turns out to be a common fish. Happened to me when i first got into fishkeeping.

Thats a normal bristlenost mate. People should stop calling things something different when they are not. You should get in contact with the seller and correct him. If you paid too much try and get something back.

Its a real pain when this happens.. :( People buy a random fish go on google see the first thing that kinda matches bam thats now the scientiffic name, sure enough they find out that fish is very uncommon and the price rises. But all the had was something very common with very dubious linage, I'm not a catfish expert but it seems to happen allot with the ancistrus here, happens allot with the peacocks/mbuna that I keep to. See so many fish with really dodgy names, pretty gutting to end up buying them down the line but when you go back to the breeder they have disappeared or don't care. Guess it all depends on the ethics of breeding? I am sure that most people don't have any bad intent with doing it maybe just lack of knowledge and a quest to find the right name to sell their fish with I guess.

Anyway well done on the breeding :) I used to breed bristlenoses in my african tanks too, cracks me up because they are so far out of their "normal" prefered conditions that it isn't funny but they seem happy enough!

I'm becoming to realise more and more how hard it is to get good quality, correctly ID'ed fish in NZ. I have no desire to label any of my fish incorrect names and sell them by duping people. Ethics and integrity seem to be questionable with a great deal of breeders it seems. I can understand the accidental mistake, but if you're going to sell fish as a particular species that is less common in the marketplace and you're charging more for them then you should be 100% certain of the fishes ID. I purchased 10 johanni fry from a breeder from this fishroom and it seems they are not johanni but either hybrids or psuedotropheus interruptus. It could be an honest mistake, but if I hadn't posted photos and asked the question here to double check, I too could have bein selling fry with an incorrect ID and only muddling the species in this country even further. It really is a problem that needs addressing.

Good one you breeders out there who do their utmost to sell pure species and get their ID's right. We need more people like this in the hobby for the benefit of all.

As far as my BN fry goes - I will be labelling them as common BN's until I get solid proof otherwise. Better to be safe than sorry.

How can you tell that its a common off one photo.well done though

Well, they're certainly not an LDA 72. Other than the shape and bristles they look nothing alike.

1.jpg

Also the extremely strong resemblence to the common mixed breed mutt normally sold as a bristlenose here.

Geez these BN fry grow quick!

The corner huddle :D

Yes, lots of fry, very quickly. Most of mine have been eaten by larger fish (population control - not intended)

Once they get to about 2cm they seem to slow down. I only have 4 or 5 that are 3cm, and He's now on his 5th batch of eggs.

Yes, lots of fry, very quickly. Most of mine have been eaten by larger fish (population control - not intended)

Once they get to about 2cm they seem to slow down. I only have 4 or 5 that are 3cm, and He's now on his 5th batch of eggs.

Any suggestions on what to feed them? They still have a bit of an egg sack tummy left but I've put some cucumber in there just in case. I hope they can find it as I placed it in the middle of the tank but they are all huddled in large clusters around the perimeter of the tank! I heard plecs can be lazy eaters, so any tips would be great!

Any suggestions on what to feed them? They still have a bit of an egg sack tummy left but I've put some cucumber in there just in case. I hope they can find it as I placed it in the middle of the tank but they are all huddled in large clusters around the perimeter of the tank! I heard plecs can be lazy eaters, so any tips would be great!

Seriously, cucumber doesn't work anywhere near as well as zucchini. One slice over night, then remove the skin in the morning. I use Algae wafers for when I don't have zucchini in the fridge. Mostly they just love the driftwood and bamboo (that I use as caves for breeding). During the day most of the young can be seem shredding my indian fern (which seems to grow to match their hunger).