Do I remove Plants from pots before planting??

LYNDYLOO

Hi guys,

I bought a couple of new plants from Animates yesterday, they are in plastic pots which are filled with some type of foam, do I take them out of the plastic pot thingy and the foam before planting??

Never quite know which is the right thing to do when it comes to this :facepalm:

You thoughts on this is very much appreciated :wink:

There has been some concern that man made vitreous fibres such as rock wool might be carcinogenic (like asbestos ) and so people are warned to avoiding breathing in the fibres when in a dry state. However, the current conclusion is that rock wool is safe with no excess lung cancers amongst end users.

There has been some concern that man made vitreous fibres such as rock wool might be carcinogenic (like asbestos ) and so people are warned to avoiding breathing in the fibres when in a dry state. However, the current conclusion is that rock wool is safe with no excess lung cancers amongst end users.

:smot: Relevance?

Don't eat the wool!

Rock wool is also one of the main media used for planting in aquaponics, and it is purchased in a dry state. The main users online at least seem to be americans growing marijuana for home use in hydroponic setups. I was going to purchase some as well for seeding my plants in my hydroton, but in the end I used cotton wool which seems to work too.

Hi guys,

I bought a couple of new plants from Animates yesterday, they are in plastic pots which are filled with some type of foam, do I take them out of the plastic pot thingy and the foam before planting??

I don't think she'll be sniffing the foam in the pot, or letting it dry out :gigl:

The foam is another inert media like the rockwool and does nothing to feed the plant. Your problem seems to be keeping the plants planted. Might I suggest having a deeper sustrate or adding lead to the plants stem. The pots restrict root development which is a problem with heavy rooted plants like swords or crypts but not for most stem plants.

Have no idea what they are called Adrienne, people in Animates didn't know what they were called either.

Looks very similar to this:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/a.asp?id=452259789&cc=602&pid=144717985&hbc=&ct=link

Phoenix seemed to think it was, Cyperus helferi.

I'm really wanting to know in general if a plant should be removed from the pot before planting.