February 23, 201214 yr comment_473722 how do you apply for a permit to keep native geckos? once you then have a permit how do you get ahold of the reptiles? thx Report
February 23, 201214 yr comment_473725 you need to get hold of your local DOC contact. you will need an outdoor enclosure made to their minimum specifications - normally they inspect this before issuing a permit. you may also have to provide a contact to them of the person you will get the native reptiles off. also join the NZ herp society check their website for all the info you need. http://www.reptiles.org.nz/ Report
February 23, 201214 yr Author comment_473730 thanks. and do u get the geckos from breeders? how much would it be to buy a green tree gecko ? Report
February 24, 201214 yr comment_473736 you can not buy or sell natives - all native species are protected. you will need to find a permitted keeper that has spare that they can give to you. like I said, spend some time going over the Nz herp website, all information is on there and ring DOC for information on what they require in your area. Report
February 25, 201214 yr comment_473920 Also you need to be 16 or over to be eligible to apply for a permit to keep native reptiles - I checked your profile and you're 13, so you'll have to wait another three years unfortunately Report
February 25, 201214 yr comment_473923 I'm only 14 and i'm applying for one at the moment and it says if you are under 18 get a parent/guardian to sign it for you Report
February 25, 201214 yr comment_473940 Also you need to be 16 or over to be eligible to apply for a permit to keep native reptiles - I checked your profile and you're 13, so you'll have to wait another three years unfortunately Nope, i'm 13 and have got one in my parents name. 8) Report
February 25, 201214 yr comment_473950 how do you apply for a permit to keep native geckos? once you then have a permit how do you get ahold of the reptiles? thx I happen to know a local keeper quite well, who MAY be looking at getting rid of their 4, 2 brown & 2 green, all males. If not, I know their local breeder/supplier :thup: I will talk to them and let you know Report
February 25, 201214 yr comment_473973 I'm only 14 and i'm applying for one at the moment and it says if you are under 18 get a parent/guardian to sign it for you So does that mean it's under your name but they just have to sign it, or it's under your parent's names? Report
February 25, 201214 yr comment_473975 It'll be under a parent's name. They want someone to blame if things go wrong Report
February 27, 201214 yr Author comment_474218 yea i was aware of the age limit and have had a good chat with my mum and shes happy to sign it off. does anyone have any pictures of their enclosures because i am going to build one but would like to get a few ideas. thx! Report
February 27, 201214 yr comment_474255 They are periodically available on Trademe and are claimed to comply with the requirements. Report
February 27, 201214 yr comment_474256 yeh i bought mine from the lady who sells them on trademe. Report
February 28, 201214 yr comment_474349 Looks too small IMO. I know a guy who has really nice walk-in enclosures with trees growing, and ferns, moss and grasses and lots of rocks on the ground. It looks exactly like their natural habitat. I love watching the skinks basking on the rocks. Report
February 29, 201214 yr comment_474581 Also you need to be 16 or over to be eligible to apply for a permit to keep native reptiles - I checked your profile and you're 13, so you'll have to wait another three years unfortunately Twas 13 when I got my one and it was under my name Report
March 1, 201214 yr comment_474666 probably not,it all depends on your local DOC workers.bad luck if you get stuck with some of the pedantic twits that can also be filled to over flowing with self importance,that can be found `working` there(this term is used loosely). Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.