Cycling Tank - what have I done wrong?

Polwarth

What have I done wrong,

Morning all I have a 170 litre corner tank which I am trying to cycle with no fish.

I have planted it out and the plants are gowing great, we had a small algal bloom which we have corrected.

BUT

I have not managed to get any nitrates or nitrites produced, the ammonia level is at 4 on my test kit, and the pH is at 7.4 despite introducing a piece of wood to reduce it. Well it did to start with but the pH climbed back up over the next week.

I have feed the tank to start the cycling process. I am using a API Fresh water master test kit.

Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong, as I have been waiting for the cycle to finish for 8 weeks now and I would like to get some fish next month.

Philip

Thanks for the quick replies.

I have a Eheim cansiter filter which puts thru 440L / hour and other than washing / rinsing the media at the start I have done nothing to it.

I did however add stability ? a product to improve the tanks bio life.

The "food" I feed the tank was just that fish food, I was told the decaying food will create the ammonia we were looking for, and it has but maybe it took a bit longer than using household ammonia.

Philip

your Ph is at a good level for cycling.

Your water temp wants to be around 26-30 deg c

Your ammonia is high if that is 4ppm. Your really dont want any more than 2ppm.

using house hold ammonia is easier and quicker but it would be better to use clear rather than cloudy ammonia.

I would check you parameters and try and get them to close to above.

Get the ammonia level to 1-2ppm by water changes.

Test daily or every second day till ammonia gets to zero.

Once ammonia gets to zero bring it back to 1-2ppm by adding more of your ammonia source. (this is where ammonia is good as it happens pretty much instantly to easy to measure)

Keep testing. once ammonia is reaching zero in 24 hours start testing nitrites.

Nitrites could be off the chart. If so do daily water changes to get the nitrites down to say 4. Just like ammonia, if the nitrites are too high it can stall the progress.

Keeping adding ammonia every 3 days or so while testing nitrites (remember your ammonia should be converting to nitrites in 24hrs by now)

Once nitrites reach zero you tank is cycled. In My experience waiting for the nitrites to come down can take 2-3 times longer than the ammonia drop.

Water changes to get nitrates down then add fish

Remember to be light on your water changes. (say 20- 30% max) to not disturb your bacteria too much. Take the water from the top of the tank rather than interfering with your substrate.

cheers

OK first mistake I have found I have had the water temp set at 25 degress, so I have set that to go up to 30 degrees, I will do a 20% water change to help reduce the ammonia level and hopfully start the process.

I will test the water Saturday to see what we have done.

Thanks for all the help

Philip

A 170L tank should have cycled at 8 weeks. A higher temperature would cause the cycling to occur a little faster, that's all. The fact you had an algal bloom suggests to me you did have a nitrate surge as algae need nitrates, and your plants are also surviving, and they also use nitrates.

I suspect your tank is already nearly cycled. I would do a 90% water change, and see what happens to the ammonia levels. If you can drop the ammonia to 0 with water changes, perhaps add a fish or two and monitor the parameters after that.

A 170L tank should have cycled at 8 weeks. A higher temperature would cause the cycling to occur a little faster, that's all. The fact you had an algal bloom suggests to me you did have a nitrate surge as algae need nitrates, and your plants are also surviving, and they also use nitrates.

That's what I thought too. The algal bloom was probably caused by too much nitrate, which suggests that the bacteria is there. The tank might already have been cycled but maybe with a recent addition of too much food, it could be going through an ammonia spike and mini-cycle.

That's my guess anyway.

I have been change 20% of the water on a daily basis and I have got the ammonia level down to .50 ppm so I am hoping that I have fixed the problem.

Sounds good. Do you have nitrite readings now

PS id ignore the statement above. Id keep your water changes small for now until your bacteria are fully established. If your nitrite levels are not too high then you can probable leave it to its own devises. cheers

It sounds like you are on the right track. There isn't an exact recipe for success. There are so many biological processes going on that there are a myriad of reasons why you might be seeing an ammonia spike. One likely thing that happened is that you had cycled the tank but the bacteria load was not all that high so it may have died off and then gone through another ammonia spike. Or it could have been contaminated by a pathogenic bacteria, or your test kit may not be all that accurate. All are equally possible and it is very hard to know for sure what was causing the problem.

If it were me, I would get a big clump of mature filter media from an experienced fish keeper in your area. You would be amazed at how much that can solve. Once you get it, put it in your filter as soon as possible, then feed it by adding some fish (the number of fish depends on how much media you get and how many fish were in the tank that the media was taken from). Once the fish are added, feed them lightly and only just once a day and do a 25% water change every couple of days with dechlorinated water. After a week or so, leave the tank for a few days and test it again to check ammonia levels. I would bet that you don't have any at that point! :thup:

Btw, I see you are relatively local so you are welcome to have some of my mature filter media if you want! :wave:

For indicator solutions there is a range of accuracy. It may be that these particular indicator chemicals (eg, methyl orange) are not accurate at lower concentrations. Using a pragmatic approach, small concentration probably have minimal effect in aquatic systems anyway. What we really want to know is when the ammonia gets up to toxic concentrations and I suspect that the indicator is designed to be most accurate at that level.

This may not apply but I find my API test kit gives a 0.25 at the lowest. I have tried lots of different things to see if I can it lower but it always comes out at 0.25. Have had my Mrs check my methods and her scientist brain/training says I'm doing it right.

Some additives like stress zyme can give those small false readings too i have found.