Travelling around the country for a year!

Stella

I spontaneously (a week ago) decided to pack up and store all my stuff, buy a van kitted out for living and go travelling around the country till at least the end of this year.....!

:bounce:

I keep having meltdowns and can't find a way to sort myself out here, but maybe the independence and adventure will help. Will still write up my thesis and second book (did I tell you I have been asked by a proper publishing house to write a fieldguide to NZ fishies?). :smln:

The plan is thus:

Leave the end of Feb.

March, April, May - doing some fish surveying for DOC, assisting a friend (paid fish-hunting! :happy2:

Then head north for winter up the west coat.

Then south, via Rotorua and Wararapa.

Then South Island somewhere and how... prob down the east coast

Winding up in Dunedin for the Freshwater Sciences conference at the end of November.

Then maybe up the west coast

Then look for a job once book is done.

It is kinda crazy and excessively spontaneous, but I know if I don't do something my current scary mental rollercoaster might go totally subterranean and I might not be able to get out again. :digH: &c:ry

My family is totally supportive.

Soooooooooo...... who wants me to park in their driveway when I come through? Am particularly keep to meet you native fishos, but am always keen to meet people. And there is a high possibility of going fish hunting ;) Or being talked into giving native fish talks or trips for fish clubs. :sage:

I will have no idea where I will be at any point in time, but I will probably pop up here periodically asking if anyone in X region would let me stay. :mbh:

Great news about the new book :happy2:

If your meanderings bring you our way, you know where we are!

A word of warning though, you may end up with some feline hood ornaments, they love sitting on hot vehicles...

Fantastic, thanks so much! :)

Blueether, am getting a van as opposed to campervan. Much bigger than my Pulsar hatchback, but smaller and less hideous than a campervan. The one that I am highly likely to buy tomorrow (subject to mechanical check) has a slat bed WELDED into the back, and lots of useful kit :happy2:

LOL well I am kinda bringing my own accommodation, just need a park (and nice company, a shower, water supply and a toilet), apart from the company I don't think that is too picky :slfg:

I am wanting to touch all the 'corners' of our lovely country, so that counts Invercargill.

Sounds like fun Stella! :thup:

Ditto to most of the posts above, there is a spot on up our driveway that you would be able to park up on, and last I checked the amenities were all still working. Even have a spare room with a bed in it if you need a sleep in a proper room for a change :)

Good luck on your travels... we expect updates :sage:

well..... I checked out this van, really really liked it, my friend checked it over and approved, took it for a pre-purchase inspection and......

LEMON :facepalm: :digH: :nilly:

Then I hopped in it to take it back to the owners and the clutch died, so I had to leave it at the garage! Rather disappointed but also incredibly pleased I got the test done! :smln: :thup:

Back to looking. :yaw2:

Thanks so much for all the offers of places to stay! I am writing them all down on my big map of NZ. There most certainly will be updates here, and it is all going to be incredibly helpful for writing my book.