Singapore -buying electronics.

Squirt

Hi All :wave:

I was wondering if anybody could explain to me about these different voltages, hertz of electronics?

I was looking at buying a few electrical goods over there, but most of the use a different power socket to NZ. So you can buy the adapter ect. But what this transformer that I may need to buy?

So I understand SG is 230V and so is NZ and SG is 50 hertz. So what is the hertz in NZ? and does it affect the usage?

Cheers

Hz is what happens when you put your finger into a live socket! :slfg:

Both Sg and NZ have the same ie. 230V and 50Hz.

In the past I had an bedside clock that used the line frequency of the alternating current to get the timing. Switch it to 60Hz and the time went well off. Also turntables used the line frequency of the lights so you could determine if the speed were out .. it stroboscoped at 50hz so that the pattern became stationary. I guess other things use the mains frequency for timing too.

Cool :thup: so all I need is an adaptor? Getting pretty close only 4 days :happy2:

If you don't mind haggling and pitting one shop against the other, jump into a cab and tell him to take you to Sim Lim Square. Whatever you need, they'll have it. Cameras, camcorders, DVD players, computers, computer parts, etc, etc, etc. But if you want to shop in comfort, deal with reputable brands and don't mind paying slightly more then jump in a cab and tell him to take you to Funan Mall.

Happy hunting!

It's OK if you're not local, just put on a poker face and don't let them call their bluff. If they're not willing to give you a deal, just walk away. This might cause them to call you back to do a deal, but if they don't, there are plenty more shops around haha.

Don't make eye contact with anyone selling anything unless you actually want to buy something! They are relentless!!

And, if I remember correctly, it was under the Sim Lim Tower (or the Square over the road) there is a food court with an excellent selection :wink:

Oh, and don't forget:

1. Always offer to pay cash on the spot instead of using a credit card.

2. If they're not willing to budge on discounts, ask them to throw in some free stuff.

3. Go straight for the jugular. As soon as you walk in, just say that you're after Items A, B, C, D and E - can they do you a deal? If they start humming and hawing, just move on. Saves you a heap of time.

Have fun haggling! :thup:

Oh while on topic of Singapore what else would I need to bring that's not on this list? Getting ready to go now. One day of school and it's boring already :P

Clothes

Shoes

Hat and sunnies

Toiletries and medications

Watch

Adapters, phone, electrical equipment

Local currency.

I'm trying to pack light so I can buy new clothes and shoes over there. Can buy the mozzie repellant and other stuff over there if I need to.

On a side note; are you allowed to bring pressurized cans in your check in luggage (deodorant)? Flying jet star.