Happy Birthday Caryl

Adrienne

lol, mcrudd - are you trying to say something with all those chocolates in the Happy Birthday banner??? :wink:

Happy Birthday Caryl - hope it was filled with many good wishes and lots of chocolates.

Lol yes my hubby was sharing his chocolate with Caryl, cause it was his 41st today :thup:

I made the pavlova roll, didn't quite turn out like the photo in the book but not bad for a first pavlova roll.

Recipe comes from this book http://www.pavlovabook.com/

4 egg whites

120g caster sugar

2tsp white vinegar

1 tblsp cocoa

150g choc chip cookies

200ml cream

Preheat oven to 160 degrees (fan forced is in the recipe, I don't have one so I put it closer to 170).

Line a tray with non stick baking paper.

In large clean bowl whip egg whites till they form peaks.

While continuing to whip gradually rain in the caster sugar. Whip a further 5 mins till the sugar granules have dissolved.

Add vinegar and fold in with metal spoon very gently until combined.

With spatula smooth the mix onto the prepared tray in the shape of a rectangle 25cm x 30cm. Dust evenly with cocoa.

Bake for 8 mins.

Remove from oven and leave to cool for 10 mins.

Place cookies in processor and blend till fine breadcrumbs.

Whip cream to soft-whipped stage.

Fold biscuit into cream.

Place clean baking paper on top of the pavlova and turn upside down. Peel off top layer of paper. Smooth cream even over pavlova.

Roll up width ways firmly

Chill until serving time.

Mine turned out more of a pavlova ring with cream in the middle and I used oreos so where the picture looks like a light brown inner, mine looks like mud. Also I used hot chocolate mix instead of cocoa and most of it peeled off at the last removing of paper where in the picture hers is intact.

The only thing I am not sure of is why you fold it widthwise - there is much less of it to roll. Maybe so you get a longer slice?

8)

That is a good link. I think the choc chip would be better as the Oreos would be a little overpowering (plus I don't like Oreos).

I suspect you roll it width-wise as it will be too thick and will crack under the weight if you rolled it long-wise.