How much work to maintain this tank?

GrahamC

I've got 4 tanks in use at present ranging from 180L to 30L with goldfish and WCMM, then blue gourami + fancy guppies + BN babies, then another with juvenile angelfish that I need to move to a larger tank soon, and then a few Betta splendens which I picked up this week from another member here ....

Considering hes been running no skimmer means hes probably got algae from narm, probably has phosphates and silicates

soaked through all of his rock. Which would slowly leech into whatever setup you would wanna run. IMO :facepalm:

also like what spoon said canister filters on a marine spell disaster,

he hasnt researched alot obviously, I feel sorry for the poor fish and coral. :cry:

It's actually worse than that ...I have another 10L tank that I can use for a hospital tank though it was originally intended for some experimentation, another 170L tank that is sitting in storage in my new office,and I am about to commission a much larger tank for my office. So, a more accurate description would be Rapid Onset and Progressive Multi-Tank Syndrome ( ROPMTS ) :sml1:

Probably more stress and aggravation resetting a poorly maintained tank - since there is existing livestock it has to be done quickly and there is little margin for error.

How much work to maintain the existing tank? This depends on the condition of the rock in the first place, if it is riddled with unwanted organisms and nitrate/phosphate, then it may take some constant attention to get it to a fairly stable state. Also try and avoid the ph altering additives that go with the tank, there are better ways to stabilise the water.

At least starting from scratch you know what you are getting and don't have to work around what is already existing, and you can take your time to get all the parameters right before you even attempt to start stocking it with fish that you have researched well and chosen for yourself.