Why does my venturi stop working effectively?

GrahamC

I have a venturi port on my submersed filter that allows air to be mixed in with the filter output. But I noticed that it stops working if I submerse the filter too much below the water line. Since the air line hose length is not changing, and atmospheric pressure is constant, then it must be the increased water pressure that is limiting the water flow and reducing the negative pressure at the venturi port?

So, if that is correct, how does one calculate how deep one can immerse a filter and still have the venturi still work? I presume that the variables are water depth, rated litres per hour flow, and diameter of the outflow, diameter and length of the airline tubing ....

So, if that is correct, how does one calculate how deep one can immerse a filter and still have the venturi still work? I presume that the variables are water depth, rated litres per hour flow, and diameter of the outflow, diameter and length of the airline tubing ....

just move it up and down till you are happy with it

can always just hook an air pump up to it. that really boosts the bubbles

i have one on a pond pump, the air thing came with a cheap little internal filter and had same problem when using that in deepish water, also as soon as it got slightly clogged it would stop working. with it on the pond pump it can go at least 30cm deep and still go hard, no air pump either.

I want to be able to recirculate the air at the top of a bottomless tank so external air pumps will not work as they will introduce air into the system dropping the water level. Based on my experience so far, I suspect the pump itself will need to be outside the water column to reduce the water pressure.

I would have thought that the pressure difference between the inlet and outlet would be the same regardless of the depth of the pump so it should not make any difference, only if the outlet was raised above the water level and increased the operating head.

+1

Must have a poorly designed venturi (or none at all). Most pumps just have a hole and call it a venturi... It needs a properly shaped tube sticking down into the pump flow outlet to be called a venturi. Got a photo of it?

It needs a properly shaped tube sticking down into the pump flow outlet to be called a venturi
not quite true, needs a velocity increase through a bore diamator change to be call a venturi :sage:

Edit:

Just lookd up the max head for a water driven venturi and it is 0.46 psi or 13 inchs of water