My fishless cycle..

zeebee

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can use clear ammonia to avoid surfactants if that is your worry. Hard to come by its around. I found some at our Binn Inn.

Heres some reading from Dr Tim http://www.drtimsaquatics.com/fishless/fishless.html also http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/fishless_cycle.php and http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/fishless_cycle.php

So, if you never did any testing how did you know when the system was stable?

AFAIK, the point of a fishless cycle ( apart from sparing the fish any trauma ) is to create a large population of bacteria so that it can handle all of your fish at once ie. no need to add them slowly. The method claims to induce much larger populations than that achieved using dead shrimp or a sacrificial fish.

And if you have an existing tank with live filter material then you can even bypass most of these steps by using that in your new tank.

Exactly! Aaand ammonia is only $3 a bottle and i would need probably 10 danios to cycle my tank which at my LFS cost $3.90 each.. with the risk of dying and losing that money if you do it "the good old way". This fishless cycle will probably only cost me 50 cents (not including heating and filtration of course)

ETTO...

Fish produce urea through the gills as well. This is why that little fish in the Amazon is such a scary little thing to us males as it is following traces of urea and goes where it shouldn't because it thinks it has found the gills of a fish and is about to lock on and get a bit of blood. Makes me cringe just thinking about it.

Sick...... but true.

Urine is sterile until it reaches the urethra where the epithelial cells lining the urethra are colonized by facultatively anaerobic Gram negative rods and cocci.[4] Subsequent to elimination from the body, urine can acquire strong odors due to bacterial action,[citation needed] and in particular the release of asphyxiating ammonia from the breakdown of urea - From wikipedia

As that wise fella said. There is only two ways to do things--your way and my way. There is no right way, best way or wrong way. Do what works for you. How much ammonia is produced by 10 danios? They know, do you?

Not sick, just a fact. Urine can contain some small viruses as well.

There was an importer on this site who said he had used urine to do a fishless cycle prior to importing.

This is why that little fish in the Amazon is such a scary little thing to us males as it is folowing traces of urea and goes where it shouldn't because it thinks it has found the gills of a fish and is about to lock on and get a bit of blood. Makes me cringe just thinking about it.

Is that the Bobbitt fish?

How much ammonia is produced by 10 danios? They know, do you?

I guess just like the ability to cycle with out testing it comes from peoples experience.

Cycling to 4ppm can handle a huge bio load. ie no ammonia, nitrite spikes after fish added. A lot of people y cycle only cycle using 2ppm, big bio loads and no spikes.

I guess if we tested water daily when using fish to cycle you would see how much was produced. I have seen some experiments somewhere with this info based on inch of fish per gallon or something like that. :-?. There are certainly multiple ways of doing things each with their pros and cons. Either way they arnt as complicated as we can make them.

Swelter'd venom sleeping got,

Boil thou first i' the charmed pot!

Double, double toil and trouble;

Fire burn, and caldron bubble.

Fillet of a fenny snake,

In the caldron boil and bake;

Eye of newt, and toe of frog,

Wool of bat, and tongue of dog,

Adder's fork, and blind-worm's sting,

Lizard's leg, and owlet's wing,—

For a charm of powerful trouble,

Like a hell-broth boil and bubble.

Hey, I'm up to day 13 and ammonia has been at 1ppm for the past 6 days with nitrite off the charts. have not added any ammonia for the past few days but it just won't drop to zero, temp has been at 29'C. Nitrate sitting at 5ppm.

Is it stalled or am i just being impatient?

ok. You dont need to keep adding the ammonia if there is already ammonia in there. Your nitrite will be off the chart for probably at least 2 weeks after you get your ammonia to zero. So theres not really any point testing untill the ammonia is down. Try and keep your Ph around or above 7 if poss. Any lower than 6 and it can slow the bacteria down a little. Give it a few more days. It (the ammonia) usually seems to be doing nothing then drops quite fast down to .25 then zero. once its at zero you can feed the tank back up to 2ppm every couple of days till your nitrite is down. The nitrite takes ages. cheers