Firemouths, who has em? Wanna show me some pics?

supasi

I am looking at maybe setting up my display tank with some Central/South Americans.Now that my Geos have gone, Firemouths appeal as they stay reasonably small and can(?) be kept in a semi planted tank I think.

Does anyone keep these at the moment and could share some experiences?

How available are these? There is no LFS in my town and I have not set foot in one for several months so cant say I have seen any around.

I haven't kept them in ages but bred them many moons ago. They are like many cichlids and are OK until they decide to pair off and start protecting a territory.

Yeah I just want to maybe get a pair.

I am not talking a full high tech planted set up either. Just maybe a few Crypts and stems across the back with some stones etc.

Tank mates would be some large tetras maybe?

I am really just open to ideas at this stage. The tank will be this one.

june9020.jpg

It was home t my Geos but they have gone now and I want to redo the tank.

Was originally going to sell this tank but decided to keep it and get rid of smaller planted tanks as the smaller ones cost the most to run.

I had some not long ago. they were not that hardy as they are suggested as from my experience. they are OK to be in the community with less aggressive spices. but in fact they are extremely cowardly toward to bigger sized tank mates. If your set up is for an overall aggressive theme, foget about them. If the set up is generally peaceful, they would be stunning in there.

A few years ago when I started keeping fish I kept and bred firemouths in a 2ft community tank with all sorts of fish and they were sweet, they were breeding at 1" long and far better coloured than most of the stuff I have seen coming in though. It would be good to see someone keeping/breeding some descent ones in the country, I know I have heard of the odd good batch being imported.