Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Aquarium World

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

starting from scratch ( pic heavy )

Featured Replies

So, inspired by si_sphinx's epic thread on his new set up, I have decided to have another go at building another set up.

One of my filters decided to sprout a leak ( unnoticed for around 6 hours ) so my previous/current stand is swollen and looking very worse for wear.

Time for a new set up...

The plan...

- Tank = 103 X 36 X 31 LWH. I was given a few sheets of glass that are this size. They have nice beveled edges and are in good nick so that is why the odd sizing.

The Tank will be rimless/braceless :o, I have yet to test how much the glass will bend but it is quite low so I think I should be okay. Have lots of glass to play with to get it right anyway.

- Stand = 103 X 36 X 700 LWH.

- Plants = Glosso, Acorus grammineus " mini green ", Lilaeopsis brasilinsis, Ludwigia acuata, heteranthera zosterifolia " star grass ", riccia fluitans, Alternanthera reineckii "rosaefolia",

Java fern, Java Moss.

maybe drawf sag too, not sure at this point. And whatever else there is room for. :gigl:

- Lighting = 4 X 39W T5. 3 10,000k and 1 14,000k. Because I am trying for a braceless aquarium I am going to hang the lights from the ceiling.

- Ferts = Will probably use PMDD because trying to work out the ferts hurts my head, so I will leave that lesson till a later date.

- Co2 = Might get the fluval 88g, anybody had any experience with these? are they any good???

- Fish = LOTS of Glowlight tetras, not sure what else.

Wish me luck.

  • Replies 66
  • Views 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Popular Posts

  • Thanks. It's really quite astounding how a tank photo can change when you take out the filters and heater etc. It's really the first time I have kept fish without the plants so good to let the fish

  • Author

Starting the stand...

The wood

P1050856.jpg

Drilling for dowles

P1050862.jpg

Gluing parts together

P1050869.jpg

The main skeleton finished

P1050871.jpg

The top and back are on :smln:

P1050873.jpg

Doors :bounce:

P1050882.jpg

Filling in all my dents and scratches

P1050885.jpg

how thick is the glass?

At 30cm high, your not going to have much water pressure at all, i doubt that you'll get much bow... supposing your at least 8 mil... :thup:

How I miss Barrie... :spop:

  • Author
That stand looks a lot easier and nicer than mine did :thup: good job.

Just different I think mate. The first stand I built could hold a bus I reckon, very structural. As this one is only holding 140kgs ( ish ) I can get away with a lot build wise.

The ply is only 12mm. In hindsight I think It would have been cheaper and easier to use 15-20mm mdf and just copy the ada stand structure.

@ cricketman = the glass is 6mm, around 7.0 safety factor. I have used the sellys silicone for all of my tanks but I am pondering switching to something more industrial. i am not worried so much about the glass braking but the seal itself.

  • Author

Thanks, there were a lot of tacky handles to choose from but I think these have quite simple lines, similar to the stand.

- Co2 = Might get the fluval 88g, anybody had any experience with these? are they any good???

If you don't mind pouring all your money down the drain. For roughly the same price but at a little more hassle (sourcing all the parts and self assembly) you could do a DIY sodastream rig that costs around $10 to fill up instead of $35 8)

  • Author

I have looked for something that can use the sodastream bottles but all the guys at BOC ect say they don't have the parts and that I should buy what they have and use a fire extingusher ect ect.

Do you have a link to anything that I could use? There are a couple of regulators on trade me but don't think they are compatible with soda stream.

I would be more keen on the soda stream bottle option as I can get them for free but thought it was not an option.

The guy at the local gas station here said he could sell me a brand new 3.5kg bottle, tap/fitting and fill it for $140.00 :thup:

3.5kg was the smallest size he had too, all the other bottles were a lot bigger. It isn't that expensive. To fill it is $10-$20 I think.

  • Author
The guy at the local gas station here said he could sell me a brand new 3.5kg bottle, tap/fitting and fill it for $140.00 :thup:

3.5kg was the smallest size he had too, all the other bottles were a lot bigger. It isn't that expensive. To fill it is $10-$20 I think.

That is pretty good, guy here was trying to tell me $200 for a small fire extinguisher bottle.

So does anybody know of a place that I can get the fittings for soda stream bottles? every avenue I have gone down seems shut pretty quickly.

  • Author

Do you mean as an adapter for a regulator valve or just try n use the soda stream fitting?

Either way I think I am going to pull one of my stands apart just to have a look :)

I was thinking of just for the adapter between the regulator/ bottle, but you could just rig it so you give the machine a squirt every time you go to feed. Fizzy fish! :slfg:

  • Author

Pretty much done now. Some minor touch ups here n there.. Would really have liked to use a stain to bring out the wood grain but there was too much filling that needed to be done.

standtop.jpg

standopen.jpg

standclosed.jpg

Bit of Gruen Transfer going on in the background :nilly:

Now for the Tank.

  • Author

Gutted I haven't really had time to get the tank done. have decided to change the height from 31 to 36 cm and see how I go. 31 cm is very low but it will do if the 36 cm breaks in testing.

Almost finalised my plant selection and animates had a sale on glowlights so I grabbed another 10. No idea how much I have now. Can't be more than 30.

hopefully have something more to post soon.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.