My tank (finally!!!)

cichlidcentral

I've had this tank for over a year now, but only just finally got around to getting some decent photos. Sorry to keep you waiting :roll:

This tank has got an Inanga(more will be coming!), 2 bandeds and 5 crays (along with plenty of macros)

This is my main native tank, but got a bully raising tank atm as well (will have a couple more tanks once my cichlids head back to school)

My whole tank (cant see top parts well, see next two photos)

th_IMG_9422.jpg

My tank inside my tank! (acting as upstream)

th_IMG_9436.jpg

other little waterfall for the other filter input

th_IMG_9412-1.jpg

and some of the life within!

th_IMG_9444.jpg

th_IMG_9442.jpg

th_IMG_9445.jpg

th_IMG_9419.jpg

They are two things I have plenty of down here, and I have figgured out how to spotlight torries :happy2:

I'm thinking of building my rock pile up a bit more to make a shellow end like yours, atm mine is only about 10" high but it does have 2 * 5000lph wavemakers above it

haha both are present up here... torrents not as abundant as we may wish...

but tips on spotlighting them I would'nt refuse! :thup:

How high your tank? I use to to have more rocks in truth, had a whole planted out bank! but wanted to try out my upstream idea after some crays got the wrong idea after having no power for 5 days =/

2 bandeds and 5 crays (along with plenty of macros)
You dont find that many koura too many? Then again I do have many bullies in mine.
How high your tank?

more or less the same size as yours 1200*600*600

More or less this layout, but the rocks at the right hand end are a bit higher. There are two large polystyrene caves under the rocks that you can just see

6509480627_3127001fda_b.jpg

haha both are present up here... torrents not as abundant as we may wish...

but tips on spotlighting them I would'nt refuse!

stand in the water with torch ;)

Find a nice transition between pool to run where the water surface is just starting to break up and hold said torch just above the water pointing up stream.

You dont find that many koura too many? Then again I do have many bullies in mine.

tbh I've been hand feeding them their normal food to make sure they get their fill.

as far as territory goes I based number/size as closely to natural populations as I could (from pools often smaller than my tank!), so seam to have recreated a peaceful population structure.

stand in the water with torch ;)

Find a nice transition between pool to run where the water surface is just starting to break up and hold said torch just above the water pointing up stream.

that makes sense actually! though I'm sure a snorkle and a underwater tourch would also do the trick :wink:

OK native keepers. How about some articles for the Aquarium World on how you set up your tanks and caught the inhabitants??? Hmm? Pretty please? :hail:

Some articles in the AW on Natives would be fantastic. :D Because the AW reaches a lot of fishkeepers that do not partake of this forum I am certain it would enthuse them to keep natives as well. I myself are keen but don't want to kill the fish through ignorance and I like instructions on paper with diagrams and photos to look at :bow:

That is a very nice looking native tank! Thank you for sharing... has given me a few ideas on the one I am setting up now...

I need more rocks! May go and visit a quarry or something on the weekend.

hahaha as you can see, I started this game as a cichlid keep back when I was 10.... now the bug never left me =P nor did the cichlids admittedly but they have bowed to the natives. I have been following your tank too, and seeing you are on the shore, do give us a yell if you need a hand!

horse hair... or is it tree algae? regardless the name i have plenty around if you fancy some! young bullys love it if you get to breeding them ;P

:smot:

The large 400lt one is cooled with a 1/2 hp chiller, a bit of an over kill but does the job well. Up untill this weekend had it at 16deg but have lifted that to 18 deg to try and stop a very bad condensation problem that I've had over the last few weeks with the warm humid air that we have up here in the north island.

The ~60 tank is cooled only by a fan and normall sits around 19-20 when the room hits 26-28deg