Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Aquarium World

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.
We’ve recently updated Aquarium World! We’re working through a few bugs, with exciting new features on the way. Thanks for your patience while we fine-tune the site.

Plant ID Please

Featured Replies

Hi all,

I am hoping that someone out there may be able to identify this plant (see photos).

It is extremely slow growing, and has got no bigger in the 11 years I have had it. I have grown it in a variety of tanks and it remains exactly the same - from very low light tank (only natural light, with a couple of hours every second day of a 30w T8), to a moderately high light tank with 4 x 54w T5 tubes on every day.

It has a growth habit similiar to crypts, that is, it multiplies via thick roots running, as opposed to val and chain swords that send out a very fine runner (hopefully you will understand the distinction - I can't seem to word it any better!)

It partially melts when moved into a different tank. The leaves are maximum length of 25mm, although typically around 15-20mm. The leaves have a tendency to grow horizontally. The colour difference in the photos is due to the lighting environment where the photo was taken. Older plants develop a 'tuber/rhizome' very similiar to crypts.

Thanks

Unknownplant131211004.jpg

Unknownplant131211001.jpg

Unknownplant131211005.jpg

I agree, definitely a crypt, but unless I saw it flower or was able to compare it directly beside some of mine it will be near impossible to say what sort.

I have one that is similar but I have no ideas as to its ID at this stage.

Can I ask where you got this from? It may help to establish its identity.

C. nevilli or C. nevilli nevilli? Haven't aseen it for many years and hope that is what it is. It is small, slow growing and has the characteristic spade leaf.

Better get one to the man so he can flower it.

Any new photos of its growth? If it stays that small then it will be some type of dwarf crypt, however I'm thinking it may just be pups of C. willisii. If it is C. nevillii or C. parva then I'd be interested in buying some off you when it you have some spare :)

It looks like a beautiful plant for an aquarium and thats about all I know, its a wonder my tank looks like a forest with my amount of knowlegde :wink:

It does look like C.parva. I didn't know it was in the country but I had grown nevilli and nevilli nevillii many moons ago with candles and mirrors (perhaps hope took over from reason). It was imported by Bob Ward from Redwoodwood Aquatics but I hadn't seen it in years (he had lost it as well). Most Crypts from there will tolerate a wide range of conditions as the water can be very hard.

  • Author
Any new photos of its growth? If it stays that small then it will be some type of dwarf crypt, however I'm thinking it may just be pups of C. willisii. If it is C. nevillii or C. parva then I'd be interested in buying some off you when it you have some spare :)

Hey Joe,

no new photos of it's growth. In fact, if I showed you a photo of the exact same plant 10 years apart it would look identical in each photo! :slfg:

It most definitely is not a pup of any crypt, the photos are of an adult plant that is many years old.

I plan on putting more effort into this crypt over the next year or two, and have just planted 4 pups that I hope are this crypt. I always knew this plant was special, but only recently have I given it more serious thought.

Loaches are the enemy of this plant, they either dig it up or bury it, in their inquisitive way.

Would be happy to send some plants out once I have got a few more, I don't have many now and would hate to lose one in the post! &c:ry

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.