My puppy dog Sherlock

Ice222

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yay for Dad! very cool indeed 8)

I expect photos soon! :spop:

Well you can see the pic on the auction, for me it would be the choc brown puppy, so the one in the last pic. http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=417691280

Now for a name...

I do have a few in mind, but my reasons for or against them are kinda odd. First is that I'm slightly leaning towards naming him a brand name, this is despite the fact that I think it's incredibly tacky and cliche to be an asian girl with a "handbag" sized dog named some brand eg. "gucci" :sick:. The thing is my late mother LOVED branded things and named our first pet Chanel, so we in turn named our 2nd cat Cartier (after another brand) as a bit of a continuation on that. It's become like a mini tribute to name pets this way really.

Now how do I name a dog, a brand name while making it not a cliche? Well the two that I thought of were Louis, or Polo. Louis as in the LV brand, but I could tell people that it was named such after the french king (or several that share that name) making it less cliche. Originally I really liked this name cause I thought is sounded cute, but not too girly either, but then one of my med friends said that "louis" is used as medical slang for a STD, which would not normally be a big deal, except 90% of my close friends are in med and I don't want to make my dog a med joke :facepalm:. As for Polo (Ralph Lauren Polo), I could teach it to play Marco-Polo with me, plus polo is a sport, so it doesn't have to be immediately seen as a brand. On the down side, I think that name would suit a much bigger dog better. Lastly I guess I could break completely away from brand based names and name him after whatever I like, perhaps a game or book character I really like? In that case one that came to mind is Sherlock (aka. Holmes), but I'm sure there'd be more names if I think about it.

My main concerns are:

- it must be cute, but still boyish enough for a male dog

- Should be 2 syllables. Commands are normally 1 syllable, so 2 syllables will make it easy to discern from commands while not making the name too long.

- it must be very easy to say in quick conjunction (eg. i find "zero" or "miles" sounds weird when you try say it too much)

- Best that it does not share the name with anyone I know

Yea I'm one of 'those people' that actually put a lot of importance in a name :P. Think I may be leaning slightly to Sherlock at the moment, but still trying to come up with more names to see if anything really grabs at me. Might even just compile a list and pick one when I actually meet the pup and see what suits best.

Get a corgi :wink:

Corgi pups are cute, and they seem like fairly nice dogs but their adult fur's not very soft. They kinda remind me of ottomans/footrests too, due to not just being long, but also very broad and muscular. Long hair dachshunds are silky smooth if you keep them properly groomed. When I was working last year, I helped a customer who had one (and let me play with it a little). I was already wanting a dachshund at that point, but when I petted it, I loved that it was very silky and I also liked that he dog was quite light and easy to pick up. Corgis weigh a ton, cause they are like pure muscle if you keep them well exercised.

After seeing the auction I am having a cute attack :nilly:

I say stuff your friends and call him what you like. Louis is a good name for a dog, especially one who looks so stylish when older.

Westwood you could get away but it's a bit English possibly.

Hugo is also quite a good dog's name. There are others but they don't really suit a regal looking poochie.

Corgi pups are cute, and they seem like fairly nice dogs but their adult fur's not very soft. They kinda remind me of ottomans/footrests too, due to not just being long, but also very broad and muscular. Long hair dachshunds are silky smooth if you keep them properly groomed. When I was working last year, I helped a customer who had one (and let me play with it a little). I was already wanting a dachshund at that point, but when I petted it, I loved that it was very silky and I also liked that he dog was quite light and easy to pick up. Corgis weigh a ton, cause they are like pure muscle if you keep them well exercised.

My corgi weighs 10kg i think they have loely personalities and really intelligent . But yeah their furr is sort of smoth. But one thing with mine is that it just molts all the time! I love dachshunds.

we had a couple of papillon crosses,

1) the female she was small, so that even when fully grown she could stand on your head hence the nickname parrot.

She was fearless attempting to round up cattle the first time she met them.

She was not fixed,and possibly because of this she attempted to escape all the time.

She would sleep on the bed with us .

2) Her husband?

He was stoopid

he being also unfixed peed on the furniture

he was a good guard dog, barking at all comers.

Although nominally my dog, he would almost totally ignore me.

General points,

although the dogs were only here about 18 months (before the now ex wife left with them), I liked them, busy active,

They were fast, keeping up with the black lab we have.

They were bred originally I believe as bed warmers so they like both company, and warmth.

I went to school with a guy who had a dacshy good dog, will readily be a guard for you as will the paps.

They will mainly focus on the one master, but will accept others , but not as close.

\

The mix of the two should be a good healthy dog, I wish you well, let us all know how it turns out...

we had a couple of papillon crosses,

1) the female she was small, so that even when fully grown she could stand on your head hence the nickname parrot.

She was fearless attempting to round up cattle the first time she met them.

She was not fixed,and possibly because of this she attempted to escape all the time.

She would sleep on the bed with us .

2) Her husband?

He was stoopid

he being also unfixed peed on the furniture

he was a good guard dog, barking at all comers.

Although nominally my dog, he would almost totally ignore me.

General points,

although the dogs were only here about 18 months (before the now ex wife left with them), I liked them, busy active,

They were fast, keeping up with the black lab we have.

They were bred originally I believe as bed warmers so they like both company, and warmth.

I went to school with a guy who had a dacshy good dog, will readily be a guard for you as will the paps.

They will mainly focus on the one master, but will accept others , but not as close.

\

The mix of the two should be a good healthy dog, I wish you well, let us all know how it turns out...

Thanks for the info. Really looking forward to this puppy. I haven't come across many dachshunds in Auckland, but from all the ones I've heard of or seen, they've all been good at barking to announce when people arrive, and tend to stick to one master. These are both things that I quite like in a dog. The only downsides are their long back (meaning you have to be careful with them) and they're supposedly quite hard to train. But considering that I am planning on raw feeding (which apparently works really well for maintaining their ideal weight) and I can always look up pretty specific advice/training tips over the net for any behavioral problems, I'm feeling fairly confident that I can do it :).

Dog will be getting neutered around 6 months, so hopefully I won't have to worry about him marking.

My only advice is give him a name that you like when you shorten it, because that will no doubt be the one you always end up calling it by (I just saw post in the "What's Up" thread). My dog Rod is actually (Alex) Rodriguez, and I thought that was such a cute name, but too annoying to say everytime I call him! It's good when he's being terrible though!

I love dog as much as fish. I've plenty of fishes and 6 little dogs, ha, ha. Is there a site like this for dogs? I'm seriously thinking of renting my place out, to rent a cheap farmhouse so I can go all out, lmao. Oh, again, is there a forum for dogs just like this one?

Friends of mine have 2 chocolate labs called hugo and boss. Boss isn't the boss.

Guess that's why I'm waiting till I see the pup to decide on a name for sure xD. What if I name it Sherlock and it is the goofiest, mos uninquisitive lazy bum of a dog? Just would not be fitting.

Waiting impatiently for the puppy arrive on Monday. I'm going to have to do a massive cleanup around in case if the breeder wants to check out the house before selling me one of her precious pup. The house still looks like a bomb shelter, except for the doggie room which is pristine, so I have my work cut out for me. Meanwhile I have gathered pretty much everything I'd need:

Crate $35

Harness and leash $16.50

No spill water bowl $25

Crate mat x2 $30 (super dry) and $15.50 (normal)

All weather dog bed $20

Baby barrier $70

Overall the essentials are superb quality at really awesome prices. The toys on the other hand... I went waaaay over budget on those :oops:. The only thing in the above list that disappointed me is the baby barrier, the handle has somehow jammed already :dunno:, so I'm gonna bring that back to the store. No food bowl since I will be using the method of feeding his regular food as 'treats' so that way I can train him heaps without over feeding him on junk.

Just arrived around 10 this morning. He's even cuter than i imagined I instantly fell in love :love:

PB292629.jpg

th_PB292636.jpgth_PB292635.jpg

He's well behaved so far. Went loo outside when he arrived like a good boy, and follows me around wherever I go. He can't stand being alone atm, but I am slowly weening him to stand being further from me. At first he'd cry as soon as I stopped carrying him or letting him sleep on my lap. The i dunked the sleepy lil guy in his crate, and he started sleeping there but would cry as soon as i moved my hand off of him or can't see my face, then i shut the door and kept the top hatch open so that my hand was still inside and put the whole crate on my lap. Now I've taken my hand out, he can't see my face and he's still sleeping like baby. Think we're doing pretty well so far. Might try get the bf to come over tomorrow and look after him while i'm at work. Even tho my tenant doesn't mind helping out taking the pup on toilet break while i'm out, the puppy doesn't seem interested enough with the toys to keep himself busy while i'm out.

Oh yea, and I decided on Sherlock (aka locki). I was still undecided between Sherlock and Louis (French pronunciation) but turns out one of his brothers has been named that, so that makes the decision simple :sml2:

He's not just looks either, he's been perfectly well behave so far. It's still hard to understand what his crying means sometimes, but I think I'm starting to get the hang of it. He had his first prey model raw meal today, diced chicken breast and one tiny piece of chicken neck, took him a little while to get it - flesh tearing and bone crunching are new to him - but he seemed to love the food. Immediately after eating he actually DEMANDED to go outside for toilet! He didn't toilet when he first woke up and I let him out, so he must really be busting after his lunch. I'm just completely amazed that he TOLD me when he needed to go. I've always heard that dachshunds are stubborn, and hard to train, especially when it comes to housebreaking, but it looks like might not be quite as difficult as I expected for this wee one. He also learnt to use his somewhat unusual water bowl, so he's really coped with a lot of newness and done amazingly well even though he's only been here for hte lst 6 hours. Only thing that hasn't been perfected is that he nips pretty hard when playing, but I think I'm doing the bite inhibitation training right, even if it's not working yet. I yelp "ouch! that hurt!" stand up straight like a tree and stop playing for 15 secs before starting again. He hasn't stopped biting hard yet but at least he seems to understand that me turning my back means I'm stopping play, so eventually he should learn the connection and learn to play nice. So proud of Sherlock, such a good puppy!

What a beautiful wee pup! Congratulations on the new addition :) I see you are going to be feeding a raw diet, good on you for throwing the trend and doing something different! I'm a lecturer in Veterinary Nursing and have a few colleagues who do the same thing and rave about it. One thing you might want to consider is Calcium Supplements just while he is little to help his bone growth, you can get a supplement for this from your vet clinic. Good luck with all the joys of a little puppy. He is super cute!

What a beautiful wee pup! Congratulations on the new addition :) I see you are going to be feeding a raw diet, good on you for throwing the trend and doing something different! I'm a lecturer in Veterinary Nursing and have a few colleagues who do the same thing and rave about it. One thing you might want to consider is Calcium Supplements just while he is little to help his bone growth, you can get a supplement for this from your vet clinic. Good luck with all the joys of a little puppy. He is super cute!

Thanks :D. I'm just amazed how many people are against on principle when they've never even heard of it. Actually I'm amazed that more people don't know of it. I mean when you get a dog, you'd think you'd do some research to see what's best for it, and the top result I always got, just from goggling "best dog food" was either raw, or Innovo (which I haven't even seen in nz). When I mentioned I'll be feeding raw to one of my friends, and said that I've found a local vet who is pro-raw diet too, he looked at me all skeptically and said "So you just found 1 vet that supports it, that's not much of a basis to go on". I dismissed the idea trying to convince him, he clearly was not going to change his mind, and based on what? Nothing at all, before even knowing anything about it he had already made up his mind that raw is bad and anything I said was not going to convince him otherwise. Considering that he's a fellow dog owner and is in his last year or med (and generally a smart guy) I was actually quite offended. But then I remembered that his dog is the prime example of a badly trained, overweight, unhealthy pom with behavioral issues. So in the end I just shrugged it off, I rather know what I'm feeding and do the best I can personally do than to rely on assuming that the pet food companies actually have our best interests at heart.

Thanks :D. I'm just amazed how many people are against on principle when they've never even heard of it. Actually I'm amazed that more people don't know of it. I mean when you get a dog, you'd think you'd do some research to see what's best for it, and the top result I always got, just from goggling "best dog food" was either raw, or Innovo (which I haven't even seen in nz). When I mentioned I'll be feeding raw to one of my friends, and said that I've found a local vet who is pro-raw diet too, he looked at me all skeptically and said "So you just found 1 vet that supports it, that's not much of a basis to go on". I dismissed the idea trying to convince him, he clearly was not going to change his mind, and based on what? Nothing at all, before even knowing anything about it he had already made up his mind that raw is bad and anything I said was not going to convince him otherwise. Considering that he's a fellow dog owner and is in his last year or med (and generally a smart guy) I was actually quite offended. But then I remembered that his dog is the prime example of a badly trained, overweight, unhealthy pom with behavioral issues. So in the end I just shrugged it off, I rather know what I'm feeding and do the best I can personally do than to rely on assuming that the pet food companies actually have our best interests at heart.

It's up to the individual I guess :) So long as you stick to your guns and do whatever it is properly you should be fine :) I've worked in several vet clinics who all back the commercially produced pet foods but that's not to say that is the only way to go about it. I feed my 2 labradors Eukanuba but they also get some raw food and love a good cannon bone!

It's entirely up to you what you decide to feed, I think alot of people go down the commercial road because they know that their pet is getting all of the required nutrients and it is easy to feed with little to no preperation- therefore convenient for todays busy lifestyles :)

Don't let people put you off whatever you decide to go with, so long as you do it properly you shouldn't have any issues! Like I said before, calcium is the main thing you will need to consider.

Some people still think feeding dog sausage/roll is a good diet- I promise you your raw diet is 100 times better than that! Dog sausage is the most expensive way to give water and fat to your dog! One massive benefit to raw diet is the enviromental enrichment it will give to your dog while it eats it :)