November 2, 201114 yr Author comment_460330 ahh yeah, I'm using pure dew for top off. I haven't managed to get through a 10L bottle yet but if I start needing more I'll look into RODI. Report
November 2, 201114 yr comment_460331 i think if the tanks going to be open top it may work out better investing in a ro-di unit as you would go through a lot of water Report
November 2, 201114 yr Author comment_460340 i think if the tanks going to be open top it may work out better investing in a ro-di unit as you would go through a lot of water I suspect you're going to be right I can't afford it at the moment but it's definitely on the list. Report
November 2, 201114 yr comment_460343 Yes they aren't cheap im saving for one myself. but you may be able to find someone willing to sell you some ro water Report
November 2, 201114 yr Author comment_460423 LED's have arrived! :thup: I'm on dad duty for the day though so won't be able to start until this evening. Picking up the livestock tomorrow afternoon so I hope it all goes well tonight. Report
November 2, 201114 yr comment_460428 Is the tank within birdie seed throwing distance? Just something you do not want contaminating your tank - you may have to put an anti seed flicking shield on the side of the cage. Open top is fine, and since you are using LED's the evaporation should not be as bad as a MH - I lose about 750ml a day in a 108l with a 150w MH over it. Report
November 3, 201114 yr Author comment_460439 Yeah, I've had to move the birds a bit further away - they're not getting seeds in but there are little feathers floating on the top occasionally. I'm trying to re-home them at the moment so I'm hoping they're not going to be an issue long term. I got a great deal on a tunze top off unit so that should keep everything in check for now. I'm expecting evaporation to be around 300-400ml per day but we'll see. It hasn't moved much in the last 20 hours. Report
November 3, 201114 yr comment_460442 I'm expecting evaporation to be around 300-400ml per day but we'll see. It hasn't moved much in the last 20 hours. have you got everything running now? Report
November 3, 201114 yr Author comment_460555 have you got everything running now? all except the lights. I'm soldering them up now as they need to be live tomorrow. Report
November 3, 201114 yr Author comment_460572 funny you should ask - The tank started out looking like a cube of mud but cleared to this after a few hours Then I did a little re-arange as I didn't like the big bit on the right, it's now on the left and it makes a nice open space right where se sit and watch the tank. here are the LEDs pasted to the heatsink. I have to solder all the wires, tune the drivers, program the controller and figure out a way to hang the whole thing before 2pm tomorrow when I foolishly said I'd pick up the livestock. It's going to be an early start and a long day. I'm vvery excited :thup: There are 10 10000k White, 10 Royal Blue and 2 UV Bridgelux 3W LEDs on there. It's going to be hella bright. It will have 60 degree optics to keep the light in the tank as much as possible. Report
November 3, 201114 yr Author comment_460579 Oh hang on, that's just the white and UV ones. Here it is with the blues too - The heatsink is 18cm x 30cm so they're spaced about 4cm apart. And yeah, they're all 3watt LEDs. Report
November 4, 201114 yr Author comment_460651 I was considering building a light stand out of wood but I wasn't looking forward to it. After 30 minutes of wandering aimlessly around bunnings I found just the thing! I think they're technically supposed to be for shelving but they're plenty strong enough and a nice black to continue the look. Super easy, cheap and looks good (in my opinion). Stoked! Report
November 5, 201114 yr Author comment_460709 Now with lights! The blues and whites are both running at 80%. The heat sink is warm but not too hot so I'm hoping to get away with not needing a fan on it. I'll see how it goes after a few hours. Report
November 5, 201114 yr comment_460710 Looking at how the light has dispersed in the tank, maybe move the light back a little so all the live rock is lit for when you get the coral. Report
November 5, 201114 yr Author comment_460715 Looking at how the light has dispersed in the tank, maybe move the light back a little so all the live rock is lit for when you get the coral. That's the idea. I foolishly set the top arm so it couldn't slide forward and back but I'll change the bolts over and move it back so the light is in the middle and the shadows at the back should be gone. I've since turned the lights down to 50% and the brightness is much the same to the naked eye and they're running a lot cooler. I can now look at the tank without having to squint into the light. Report
November 5, 201114 yr comment_460734 Looks Awesome :thup: To get rid of the shadow if is still there when you move it, maybe get 45 Degree reflectors. Report
November 5, 201114 yr Author comment_460746 Looks Awesome :thup: To get rid of the shadow if is still there when you move it, maybe get 45 Degree reflectors. Thanks I think 45 would be too sharp as it's running 60 degree optics at the moment. The spread will be good once I've got it centred. Looking nice, cant wait for the fish! Picking up the clowns and their anemone tomorrow. Got everything sorted just in time. Report
November 6, 201114 yr Author comment_460831 Clowns are being drip aclimated then it's onto the anemone and free frogspawn that was thrown in. I hope I haven't bitten off more than I can chew here... Report
November 6, 201114 yr Author comment_460841 what's that, 7 days since the tank change? Yeah. Too soon? I'm having to remove a bunch of rock to fit the new pieces they came on so in theory while the tank is new the rock is way old. Most of it. any more pics? Not yet. I'll take some tomorrow once everything has settled in. Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.