Native Tank (revamp 26/11/12)

Mikey

Been a couple of weeks, so here is an update on the tank:

The two Koura are settling in very well. They have been eating pretty much everything I throw in there... Mysis Shrimp, bloodworms, peas, courgette, JBL novo tabs, ox kidney, trout pellets, so getting them to eat hasn't been a problem... next thing on the menu is earthworms... so we will see how they like that.

Both have moulted over the past few days and have re-eaten their shed shells, so they seem to growing and doing everything right, I freaked out a little bit the first time I saw it happening... came out Saturday morning and found the big koura lying on its side with funny colouration, twitching... upon closer inspection I saw it was working its way out of the old shell... so I sat and watched... pretty fascinating to watch it work its way out!

The little one stays hidden a lot more than the big one... the big one is out and about and visible most of the time... seems to like climbing the wood and picking bits and pieces off it and nibbling on it (photo below). I suspect the little one is hiding from the bigger one.... although they were both out and about yesterday during water change... the little one landed piggy back styles on the big one and it was amusing to watch the reactions of both of them once they realised what was going on... they flicked away, the big one landed on the gravel vac and proceed to try cling on for dear life.

They are most interesting aquarium inhabitants, and I am very pleased with how it is going, here are some photos:

The little one going rock climbing:

jgcrcuqf.e3s.jpg

The little one close up, so you can see carapace pattern:

v0gywere.3qb.jpg

Big one up the branch on the right hand side:

lzth5ha5.byf.jpg

pxr51fsl.zmj.jpg

And the two of them together.... the big one isn't that much bigger, but this photo makes him look a lot bigger due to the fact he is front and little guy is further back:

rdlujya1.12l.jpg

Tonight after hockey I'm heading out to try get some Bullies and shrimp... as I know they are locally available. I haven't been able to find anything other than banded kokopu in terms of galaxids in the local streams, but there are a few more I can visit.

So probably be an update of the hunt tomorrow :)

Cheers.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Um yeah.... about the lack of moulting pics... you can blame the ladies at my house for that :) Daughter was doing something very awesome and cute, so my wife decided to take a movie of it... using our digital camera.... 15 mins later she had drained the batteries... but she didn't recharge them, and we had no other AAs in the house so when I saw said cray moulting I went and got camera, pushed the power button and... zilch, nada, zero activity. :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

I now have a spare set of AA batteries sitting at home in case something like this happens again.

Have you never seen one moult Stella? Hopefully I get to see it do it again some time.... the big cray was lying out in the open when he did the first one, so I'm guessing he might do that again.... I'll stay frosty and share pics/video if I can get it.

Update on the tank, didn't get to go out after hockey last night to get Bullies/Shrimp... ended up playing extra games so didn't get home till late. Ah well... the weekend is fast approaching!

Tank is sitting at 21 degrees or so at the hottest part of the day without cooling... the crays don't seem to notice.

Apart from that it normally hovers under 20 degrees (18-19)... I am looking at a chiller though, bit easier than worrying about bottles/water changes and fans and stuff. Means that when I start upping the stocking level on the tank temp wont be an issue.

The big cray was up on his manuka trunk again the other day trying to get a moth that had landed on the surface... so I got some tweezers and pushed said moth under water to the cray... he grabbed the tweezers with Chelae and ripped the moth out and start munching it down then hungirly looking at the surface. I then proceeded to spend the next hour knocking out the numerous flies that are out and about at the moment and feeding them to the crays with the tweezers...

Cockroaches, earth worms, flies, moths have all gone in on the end of tweezers and ended up in the mouths of hungry crays. So it seems I have a pest disposal unit in my house again... havent had one since my last frog died. Whenever the crays see me approach with tweezers they come running out and try jumping up the glass to hurry me up.

Cheers.

• 2 weeks later...

How much waste do Koura create ... since I see they seem to be miniature mobile waste disposal units. I was wondering if I could use some to populate an outdoor tank as a nitrate source for an aquaponics experiment. I have a spare bath as a result of a bathroom renovation, and two shubs.

yeah, I read they can cannibalize each other when they've just moulted and are vulnerable. I presume that they could be separated using dividers. But they're also escape artists.

The trouble with aquaponics in NZ is that the choices are limited in raising anything eventually edible.

I've got 750 sq m of land that is likely too soft to build on ... so wondering what I can do with it. Currently it is overgrown with native bush. And I have a "stream" running thru it that has been turned into a storm water drain.

• 2 weeks later...

Bit of an update.

I have now identified both Koura as being males, and my wife has decided to name them :facepalm:

She has named the big one Hone Te Koura because when we first got him he would "chop" out all the gravel holding down the big piece of wood so it started floating.

The little one has been named Billy T Cray, it is easy to identify Billy T Cray because he is always running around with his black singlet and yellow towel thrown over his shoulder cracking jokes. :rotf:

I must admit, I like the names for various reasons :)

I was doing a water change the other day and they both came charging out to see what was going on, Hone decided to attack the siphon which provided much entertainment to my 16 month old daughter who was watching daddy trying to gravel vac with a determined cray attached!!

I'm not happy with the lay out of the tank, I see other peoples tanks, and display tanks at public places and know mine can look better, all I have is a random pile of rocks and a couple of bits of wood... so I'm currently working through some ideas on making the tank look better, and also be better for the inhabitants (present and future).

I have been out a couple of times to the local streams to see what is around, and definatley looks like I only have a choice of common bullies, shrimp and banded kokopu that could inhabit or possibly be ok in the tank.

bearing in mind commons get a bit bigger than redfins etc, would I be ok with two common bullies? or would I have to limit to one?

My mrs is the one that names my tank inhabitants as well, like the names.

I guess the 180l tank is about 900*450*450? I would think with a good scape and lots of hiding holes you could have 3 or 4 commons.

I see no real aggression between my bullies, apart from when one of the males is guarding a cave for spawning. I have a mix of common and Cran's, all up maybe about 10 or 12 in a 1200*600*600.

I have a few ideas about a re-scape for my natives, but will have to wait till the inanga pass on. They are a year and a half old now so will probably start to die off this autumn.

Love the names Mrs Mikey!

I have a few ideas about a re-scape for my natives, but will have to wait till the inanga pass on. They are a year and a half old now so will probably start to die off this autumn.

Now you've done it, you know they will be the longest lived captive inanga now that you have said that, don't you? :wink:

Now you've done it, you know they will be the longest lived captive inanga now that you have said that, don't you? :wink:

True

They, in them selves, wont be a problem in the scape that I'm thinking of, it is just that I want to lower the bio-load a bit as it will mean dropping down from just under 400l of water to maybe 200 - 250l plus a sump. Or I could buy DavidR's 1400l monster, that would work just nice...

• 2 weeks later...

After much thinking about it, I finally got off my backside and rescaped the tank.

I have changed the orientation of the wood on the left hand side and added heaps more rocks and revamped what was already in there... looks a lot better to me now, plus the crays are loving it as there are a lot more hidey holes and random areas for them to explore.

Now that I am happy with the lay out and have given more hiding spaces, I can finally go out and get the bullies, because I didn't want to put them in there with the crays without decent coverage. I also figure it is best to get the bullies while these two crays are still small, so they are less likely to eat them, and so they grow up together. I'm thinking I'll get some shrimp too, and if the Crays want a good meal they can have one of those... if they can catch them.

I do have some photos... but I'm having technical issues here at the moment :an!gry So I will update this thread later tonight when I get home so you can see the tank as it is now.

Cheers all.

As promised, here are some images of the tank and occupants.

Overall view of the tank, frontal and end on:

3pp134sv.gbp.jpg

e34k2czu.351.jpg

0rbfwcvl.elz.jpg

(If you look closely near the top of the wood on the right hand side, you will see Hone Te Koura standing up there... he was trying to catch a moth that had hit the waters surface, so once I finished taking photos, I grabbed tweezers and fed him the moth, one very happy Koura :thup: )

Some angled shots:

h3w3vids.4y3.jpg

mrc42wmw.isg.jpg

xsb4xxy5.btk.jpg

0vicyhth.fnv.jpg

Hone Te Koura when he started wandering back down to see what I was up to:

swvs1ky4.qoo.jpg

Billy T Cray charging around up the back:

iibpemg1.qii.jpg

So yeah, thats the new look to the tank... I'm thinking I'll go find some foliage and get that in there as well, maybe attach a fern frond to the filter pipes to hide those and add a bit to break up the black background.

Hopefully the weather holds till Saturday night, as that is when I plan to go get the Bullies and Shrimp... but i will keep you posted :)

Cheers.

Fantastic names!! :slfg: :hail:

I had Ronnie and Reggie Cray (historic: twins who set up a rather notorious protection racket)

The tank is looking good. Interesting about the cray trying to get the moth on the surface! They do make great pets on their own :)

Looks good.

I see that you have one of the elusive native purple peg fish in there. How does it get along with the koura?

Was wondering if anyone would notice that occupant.

The Native Purple Peg is a bit boring to watch, it just lies on the bottom of the tank clinging onto food so it doesn't float away. In terms of them getting along the Koura are always trying to rip the food out of it's jaws, but the peg hangs on tight... I came out this morning and found the peg had magically relocated itself to the other end of the tank, and had empty jaws. I can only guess what the Koura did to make it let go :rotf:

The tank is looking good. Interesting about the cray trying to get the moth on the surface! They do make great pets on their own :)

Agreed on both parts... A lot of the reading I have done says that Koura are quite hidey and reclusive... but I see these guys all the time... I turn on the light and they come charging out to see what is for dinner. Hone pretty much climbs up there when ever something hits the surface of the water... flies and moths mainly, he stands up there and tries to catch it... one day I was watching him up there and he made a lunge... he missed and ended up falling off the branch... after clinging to the branch with one chelae and trying his utmost to get his other legs back up... was amusing to watch!

They both love seeing the tweezers come into the tank... moths, flies, other random bugs, earth worms.... have fed them using tweezers and they love it... they even nailed a cockroach once... might be hard in middle of winter to chuck my arm into a cold water tank though :o

Are you sure it is native? I thought most peg species were introduced. Though good to see that the koura are out-competing it for food.

Do you give them veggies too? They need a combination, more protein for little guys and more veggies for the big ones.

Crays have such different personalities! I do wonder to what extent their behaviour is related to the fish - is a cray alone more likely to be out all the time? Certainly the presence of eels has been shown to alter the behaviour of koura (and some other native fishies).

Are you sure it is native? I thought most peg species were introduced. Though good to see that the koura are out-competing it for food.

Do you give them veggies too? They need a combination, more protein for little guys and more veggies for the big ones.

Crays have such different personalities! I do wonder to what extent their behaviour is related to the fish - is a cray alone more likely to be out all the time? Certainly the presence of eels has been shown to alter the behaviour of koura (and some other native fishies).

I am sure this peg is native.... born in NZ so says the label :)

YEs they definatley get and eat their veges, brocolli, courgette, peas, cauliflower have all been eaten happily.

Hmmmm, I wonder if should push on and get some Bullies then... It would be sad if I stopped seeing so much of the Koura because there are some fish in the tank. Obvious solution is to get a new tank going for some fish... :slfg:

• 3 weeks later...

Got home last night, switched on the tank light for my daily observations and chill out.

Hone Te Koura (big guy) has shed again... he obviously did it out in the open judging by where the shed carapce was... but I wasn't home this time to get any photos or video (Sorry Stella :) ) He has gone a much darker colour, and almost has a green tinge to him now. I'll try get some photos in next few days to show the change.

While I was looking at all this I noticed a half eaten Chelae go floating past, I naturally assumed it was Hone's shed one that he had been consuming... however, I then looked for Billy T Cray... who was perched up on the left hand wood looking very pale... intially I thought he was going to shed as well, but then he spun around and noticed he only had one chelae present :facepalm:

So I'm suspecting Hone had something to do with that, so Billy T Cray has been relocated into an emergency set up (water, and a stick in a spare tank). So I'll work on getting Billy's Chelae regrown and get some size on him... will be an interesting thing to watch I reckon, so I'll start up another thread with photos and update on a cray regrowing a chelae... might be of interest to the readers out there.

My next thought... is what do I do long term... Billy will be fine in the tank he is in for a good while yet with Winter coming etc. Should I look at getting a few more organisms for the big tank to try and spread agression between all of them... do I start a second tank and keep a cray in each? So many options... I will take my time to consider all options :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hone has moulted again... I know it was him because they are seperated now, which means it must have been Billy that moulted before and thats when he got attacked by Hone and lost his Chelae. Hone has gone much much darker since the moult, so perhaps I was noticing the new colourations comping through before he actually moulted?

Billy is still sitting in his hospital tank, I have got some photos on the camera, and will get round to uploading and keeping a bit of a log on a spereate thread shorlty so you can all see the regrow happening, as it isn't something that you see everyday and I figure some of you on here might be interested.

With the bit of rain that happened over the weekend worms are much easier to find in the garden, so the boys have been enjoying wriggling worms over the last few days.

I have been considering my options moving forward, as Billy isn't going to stay small forever, so I'm looking into some options:

a) replacing the current tank with a 4footer (I measured the space the other day and it would fit perfectly)

b) mounting TV on wall, buying another tank and running two decent sized tanks in the lounge

c) getting rid of tropical tank altogether and setting Billy up in there

d) myriad of other options that run through my head everyday :)

Obviously depending on which option I go for will alter what I get next in terms of upping stocking levels on tanks etc.

Cheers.

• 6 months later...

look every where, take a spotlight and report so we can all know where they are, not so we can take but so we know whats there, people like Stella are really keen for data like that.

When I was 8 I found a random population of giant kokopu (unfortunately extinct now big thank you to DOC) fortunately due to this discovery they got funded for several sampling excursions, and now most streams in that area have reasonable data available on them