Native Tank (revamp 26/11/12)

Mikey

Most of my spotlighting has been conducted in the Glenfield streams on the North Shore. Although I have done some down in Northcote, Eskdale Bush etc.

There is Koura and Banded Kokopu in pretty much every stream I shine a torch into here. There is some streams attached to estuaries that are full of shrimp and what I believe is common bullies. Eels are a fairly common occurance as well. I have a spotlighting thread in here somewhere... so check it out if you want. :)

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, the cray that was in this tank passed on recently, so I'm now looking at revamping it.

I'm going to get rid of some of the rocks, and I have added more wood.

In terms of occupants, I am definatley going to get another cray, they are by far one of the most interesting aquatic creatures I have had the honour of observing. I also have a stream nearby chocka block full of shrimp, which I am thinking would be a good addition to the tank, and they can help control a bit of algae.

In terms of fish... I am limited as to what I can get up here... I don't think a banded kokpu would be happy long term in my tank because it is too small in my opinion, and I dont seem to have anything else other than bullies in my zone. So inanga/smelt etc aren't really an option.

So I would like to have something mid to high water as it is a high tank... so I was actually thinking of doing a "naughty" thing and putting in a school of white cloud mountain minnows.

So the thought is stocking wise:

One Koura

Several Shrimp

A school of White Cloud mountain minnows.

What are peoples thoughts on this stocking set up? I realise the koura will probably enjoy some shrimp...

Love to hear your thoughts.

PS: Now the weather is improving, I'm planning on going on a spotlight trip in the next week or so to scope out what is around at the moment :)

Ah thanks, I used to have one of a similar size.

That should be fine for bullies with the cray, as long as the cray is smaller than the bullies and there are plenty of hiding places. I can't remember if you have had bullies before, but they are really entertaining and active.

Shrimp and mountain minnows should be fine, as long as you accept them as food with a medium shelf life ;)

I have wondered about how a cray would go in a deep tank that had several levels - would it happily wander up a ramp to a second floor to find food?

Yup, that is the tank size, the 180L. Is quite high so found the top was very empty when crays were present.

Realise that the shrimp and minnows will become a source of food at some stage.... although what I have been reading about the minnows is they tend to hang around high to mid level and don't hit the deck much, so I reckon i'd only lose them under unusual circumstances :)

I'm hoping to go spotlighting in next few days once weather clears a bit to see what is around and do a bit more planning from there.

I have wondered about how a cray would go in a deep tank that had several levels - would it happily wander up a ramp to a second floor to find food?

I have thought the same thing.... one thing I was thinking of doing was getting a "turtle" tank, which generally have big footprints, and then can use the ramp and basking area for the second level... and create a super cray house. The cray that recently died out of my tank used to clamber up the wood to try get moths and things that hit the surface... so I can imagine they would go well in a multi level complex. But I'm getting side tracked, that is a long term goal haha.

Cheers for your thoughts.