700l Plywood Tank Build - Updated link and a few more pics

Asphyx

Very Good Read. I hope to do the same one day but 3000ltrs :o

I have all my plans drawn up. Just need the space and the funds.

One project at a time I keep getting told.

the tank it's self, is it easier/cheaper than a normal glass aquarium?

first I have herd of it being done in NZ

Livingart has made one

the tank it's self, is it easier/cheaper than a normal glass aquarium?

first I have herd of it being done in NZ

I wouldn't say it was easier. For a glass tank all you have to do is is silicone up the junctions. As you can see this took rather a lot more effort. If you have to buy the glass new it is likely to be significantly cheaper but that really depends on how simple you keep things. If you can get seconds glass cheap then your probably onto a winner.

I have no idea if other people have done it this way in NZ. I would imagine there must be a few of them around.

Just sat down and read the blog... That is very cool... you don't quite get a sense of scale until you see that last photo of your cleaning volunteer :slfg:

Thanks for sharing!

PS: What were you planning on putting in there?

The works! Various Kokopu and Bullies, Inanga, Koura, freshwater shrimp, crabs and muscles...

Wow, you have sure put a lot of work into that! Looking forward to seeing future updates :)

Freshwater crabs won't be visible in a big mixed tank, and they will get eaten pretty promptly. They do work well in a teeny tank on their own. I had them in a 20x20cm tank on my desk, great to watch! There is a section on them in my book.

Mussels are very difficult to keep alive in aquaria, even if the tank is purely for mussels only. You need to be growing massive amounts of green water outside to feed them - they are amazing filter feeders. Even in a mussel-only tank with heavy feedings of green water they tend to slowly lose weight. In the average aquarium they slowly starve to death over a few months, but it is hard to tell because of the shell.

(also mussels are on the threatened list, largely due to a lack of recruitment of juveniles, I really need to do a campaign to inform the petshops about this and hopefully convince them to stop stocking them!)

Thanks for the feedback Stella. Perhaps I will give the crabs and muscles a miss.

It's funny, ever since I realised that natives are pretty much carnivores and will eat bugs etc I have been noticing all sorts of bugs around the place and immediately think, hey if the tank was finished I could drop you in there lol.