were to buy large clown loaches

chris b

Big clowns aren't just something you can get the LFS to order it (at least not in NZ anyway). You'll have to keep a close eye on trademe and the For Sale forums, get to know your local shops so they contact you if they get some traded in or hear of anyone selling them, and get to know people keeping them and make sure they know you're keep if they ever decide to sell. I didn't even have to advertise the biggest 10 or so of my group as I had buyers lining up before I'd even decided to sell them.

And most importantly, don't be a tyre kicker or a tight-wad, big healthy clowns are worth big $$$ and most people know it...

yeah, there is large you get in pet shops and LARGE you get from private collections.

you can pay 120 to 150 for a 'large' petshops clown. sometimes you get lucky and they are truly l arge, but otehrwise, you gotta pay a premium,

also, from a massive group of clowns, you will NEVER get all of them large.

i had 86 clowns at one stage and only saw good growth on 10 to 15. the rest will never grow to a good size, stunted, hormonal, who knows.

Big clowns aren't just something you can get the LFS to order it (at least not in NZ anyway). You'll have to keep a close eye on trademe and the For Sale forums, get to know your local shops so they contact you if they get some traded in or hear of anyone selling them, and get to know people keeping them and make sure they know you're keep if they ever decide to sell. I didn't even have to advertise the biggest 10 or so of my group as I had buyers lining up before I'd even decided to sell them.

And most importantly, don't be a tyre kicker or a tight-wad, big healthy clowns are worth big $$$ and most people know it...

i am also on the forum loaches online and have seen people overseas buying them at 10 inches but that's overseas :cry: and was wondering if anyone had done it here?

i have been keeping an eye on trade me for the last year and a bit and have only managed to come across 10-20cm ones at the max

which i snapped up quick smart

my lfs isn't the best with fish and doesn't seem interested in any fish i'm after, they do have a few clown in a show tank at about 10cm i have asked to buy a few times with no success

if you ever want to sell some ill be keen and i will be prepared to pay $$$

they will be happy in my new tank 12000L!!!

i have tried asking for large ones.

problem is that they are actually not tha good to ship, they go through a lot of stress.

if you try importing 1 large one vs 20 small ones, you are likely to lose that 1 big one mroe so than the smaller ones.

so the risk is way too high.

in singapore, you can buy endless huge ones for 150 singapore dollars, that is considered premium!

You don't say, going there next year, do you know where a good aquarium in Singapore is henward?

If you don't mind a small cab fare, tell the driver to take you to Clementi Block 328 - there are a couple of famous LFS there. If you want to do a short 'road-trip', google 'Qian Hu Fish Farm' and ask the cab driver to take you there. Alternatively, their website has directions to their shuttle bus from one of the train stations (much cheaper option).

It's gonna be an awesome time. I'm going there early next year, so I'm going to stock up on fish food lol. MAF people always look at me weird during customs.. :roey:

they will be happy in my new tank 12000L!!!

If thats not a typo, :o:o:o

I agree that you may be better off buying small and growing them out, but if you've already got big fish in that tank it may not be an option. In a tank of that size I'd expect them to grow fairly quickly up to about 6", and then slowly but surely from there. If you'd started with some 2"ers from the pet shop 'one and a bit' years ago they'd be getting to a good size by now.

It was less than a year ago I sold my big group, and as I mentioned it was only the last ~6 or so that made it to TradeMe. Henward now has half a dozen of the biggest, the two largest were 20cm+. Problem is not many people will be willing to ship them, so you'll have to be prepared to travel.

I'm yet to see a pic of a 12"+ clown loach with a tape measure or ruler to remove the guesswork of the size. Seen so many claims of 14" clowns, but not one pic to back it up. I even made a thread on MFK a while back, got some pics of decent sized ones, but nothing over a foot long.

Squirt; here's a good link if you're going to Singapore; http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?339744-List-of-LFS-in-Singapore

I visited Clementi Aquarium and Florist and AquaHobby as they were both walking distance from the MRT. Both worth visiting if you're interested in seeing some unusual fish and being made insanely jealous...

If thats not a typo, :o:o:o

I agree that you may be better off buying small and growing them out, but if you've already got big fish in that tank it may not be an option. In a tank of that size I'd expect them to grow fairly quickly up to about 6", and then slowly but surely from there. If you'd started with some 2"ers from the pet shop 'one and a bit' years ago they'd be getting to a good size by now.

It was less than a year ago I sold my big group, and as I mentioned it was only the last ~6 or so that made it to TradeMe. Henward now has half a dozen of the biggest, the two largest were 20cm+. Problem is not many people will be willing to ship them, so you'll have to be prepared to travel.

I'm yet to see a pic of a 12"+ clown loach with a tape measure or ruler to remove the guesswork of the size. Seen so many claims of 14" clowns, but not one pic to back it up. I even made a thread on MFK a while back, got some pics of decent sized ones, but nothing over a foot long.

no typo i am about to start the build will take me a while but i'm in no hurry "do it once do it wright" so lots of researching and talking to some clever people

the tank will be mainly loach orientated with clowns being the number 1 (my favourite fish of cores) but there is a lot of room so who knows what else ill jump at. I currently have angels,discus,neon's,pleco,gourmai with the loaches (chains,kuhli,striata,clowns)

david what is your user name on trade me if you don't mind me asking? as i brought or have bid on a lot of clowns over the last year ish.

Heres Emma Turners Marge in the photo she was 10.5 inches but when she died she was getting close to 12 i think. The loach next to a ruler to prove it,that's the biggest iv seen in photo

http://www.loaches.com/species-index/photos/c/chromobotia_macracanthus_05.jpg/view

david what is your user name on trade me if you don't mind me asking? as i brought or have bid on a lot of clowns over the last year ish.

Its Hannah_21, I doubt you bought any of mine unless you picked them up from Auckland. About a dozen of them were sold thru HFF Mt Roskill, the rest went to friends who I knew were keen on them.

Sounds like an epic build! What are the dimensions? Make sure you post up a thread somewhere, I know Henward and I have spent plenty of time planning [all in theory, unfortunately] 'mega tanks' like this, would really be interested to seeing you plans and maybe even make some suggestions.

See, you've got him going now, he can't even type straight! :P

6M long, 2M wide, 1M high would be 12k litres, would need some super pumps to get the flow going for the clowns, but would be an epic river tank. Poured concrete or ply and fibreglass? How many windows and how big? Nautral lighting or artificial?

Hope you've been reading the DIY forum on monsterfishkeepers, there's some fantastic mega-tank builds on there..