Best Tanks on The Web

peet

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Lol poor photography :rolfl:

The point in this thread is for people to post what they think are good-looking tanks. Like you said, each to their own. When I look through this thread there are some tanks that I personally don't like very much, but it is interesting to see what other people's tastes are and what they think is a nice tank. Everyone does not share the same set of guidelines for what they think is a good tank.

And if this tank is just nice, I wonder what that made my tanks when I had them set up... :oops: :slfg:

You seem to be offended by my post which I apologize for, it wasn't my intention to doubt your taste hence my "each to their own". Meaning, I feel I have a valid opinion but rather than argue I will let you also have yours. I was only sharing my opinion nothing more.

Lol poor photography :rolfl:

Not sure why you laugh it is actually really quite obvious, a quick look at the tonal graph would suggest the photographer used the wrong settings for that tank shot. Regardless of camera quality.

I also query how you know they used a top quality camera as the image has no metadata.

qlIxTnO.jpg

The second shot I used as a comparison shows a pretty good balanced graph considering the halides are shining right into the camera. ( also from the ada site ). This is very hard to achieve, by no means perfect but I am sure you get the idea.

The bright yellow highlights on the plants gives it away among a few others.

I guess as a comparison you could say to the untrained eye a sick fish can look healthy. It is not till after years of experience you can see things like that instantly.

However based on what I have seen of Joe's photography I am surprised he didn't pick it up.

Anyway back to the tanks...

Really like the choice of plants in this tank..

452.jpg

You seem to be offended by my post which I apologize for, it wasn't my intention to doubt your taste hence my "each to their own". Meaning, I feel I have a valid opinion but rather than argue I will let you also have yours. I was only sharing my opinion nothing more.

I'm not offended by your comment. I just think that it is rather pointless to go round saying "That's not a nice tank" where the point in the thread is just to share photos of different tanks so people get an idea of the diversity of different types of aquascaping styles and it is just interesting to see a whole bunch of photos of lots of different tanks. What might be the best tank on the web to you might be different to what someone else likes. I am sorry if I misinterpreted your comment.

I also query how you know they used a top quality camera as the image has no metadata.

Although it doesn't state exactly what camera they used for the shot, some of the photos in the portfolio are on ADG's flickr page with the exif data, including the type of camera used. Take this shot for example - http://www.flickr.com/photos/fxwazeter/ ... hotostream

So I think it would be pretty safe to assume that they used a similar type of camera for the photos of the discus tank as well.

Not sure why you laugh it is actually really quite obvious, a quick look at the tonal graph would suggest the photographer used the wrong settings for that tank shot. Regardless of camera quality.

qlIxTnO.jpg

The second shot I used as a comparison shows a pretty good balanced graph considering the halides are shining right into the camera. ( also from the ada site ). This is very hard to achieve, by no means perfect but I am sure you get the idea.

The photos may have been edited in Photoshop afterwards, which is not a bad thing because when used properly editing software is a great tool to touch up photos and achieve good results. So that may explain why the tonal graph is a bit off.

If you don't like the photos then you are entitled to your opinion, but I still think that they are awesome and I certainly wouldn't be complaining if I took something like that :)

The bright yellow highlights on the plants gives it away among a few others.

I guess as a comparison you could say to the untrained eye a sick fish can look healthy. It is not till after years of experience you can see things like that instantly.

However based on what I have seen of Joe's photography I am surprised he didn't pick it up.

I don't pick up on stuff like tonal graphs. I just fidddle around with the settings until I get an image that looks good to me, and then I might make a few more adjustments during post processing if I think it is necessary.

I'm not offended by your comment. I just think that it is rather pointless to go round saying "That's not a nice tank".

I did not say that, I said it was a nice tank.

Although it doesn't state exactly what camera they used for the shot, some of the photos in the portfolio are on ADG's flickr page with the exif data, including the type of camera used.

So I think it would be pretty safe to assume that they used a similar type of camera for the photos of the discus tank as well.

That is fair but still speculation. That just shows that they use different photographers. That photographer also has photos using a Motorolla Droid. so based on your logic the photo could be taken using a phone.

The photos may have been edited in Photoshop afterwards, which is not a bad thing because when used properly editing software is a great tool to touch up photos and achieve good results. So that may explain why the tonal graph is a bit off.

If you don't like the photos then you are entitled to your opinion, but I still think that they are awesome and I certainly wouldn't be complaining if I took something like that :)

Sure lets go with that. As this was really started from ...

Amazing photos but it looks like they have been enhanced...

Which they have, but a graph like that is either Very poor photography or very poor editing, most likely though it is a mix of both just resulting in a poor photo.

So they are poorly taken badly enhanced photos that you would be proud of? Come on mate, Your better than that I can tell.

I don't pick up on stuff like tonal graphs. I just fidddle around with the settings until I get an image that looks good to me, and then I might make a few more adjustments during post processing if I think it is necessary.

Imagine what you could achieve if you did.

I've just been and read over all the crap I've wrote and realized what an arse I've been. I think it's just another case of me misinterpreting what others are saying. Sorry for being a an idiot :oops:

Unexpected. Rare quality mate especially on the net. Misinterpreting me is a common occurrence these days :rolfl:

I am sure a mod will be along to clean all this up soon enough Godly3vil.

Who really cares if the photo has been edited or taken with a cellphone

Well I do and based on this discussion I am not alone. The topic was brought up, discussed and resolved. No biggie.

An edited photo might seem trivial but as budding aquascapers this thread forms a standard that we try to achieve. Photos like that are false, if you don't mind edited photos then I can make that tank pink and blue or what ever colour you desire but good luck trying to achieve that standard.

Based on the fact that all tanks in this thread have been photographed and both Joe and I are photographers it seems inevitable that the conversation would skew towards that at some stage.

You are right though this is a thread for pictures and I appologise also for hijacking it.

• 2 weeks later...