September 20, 201214 yr comment_497874 I think it is a little bit of both, but without talent, availability is not important at all. I've seen very very very beautiful tanks just using 1 type of plan or using plants that can be bought at any aquarium shop in NZ IMO we have a good range here, you should be able to make something outstanding (and many people do) with what we have. its more a "it would be nice" thing with more range. I agree with both of these. We have a sufficient range of plants in NZL, any plants you see overseas can be substituted for one from our local range. Report
September 20, 201214 yr comment_497876 remember that one of the really popular ones "Cobra Grass" is actually a NZ native, Lilaeopsis novozealandae Report
September 20, 201214 yr comment_497888 remember that one of the really popular ones "Cobra Grass" is actually a NZ native, Lilaeopsis novozealandae Remember that the even more popular one "Glosso" is actually a NZ native, Glossostigma elatinoides. Report
September 20, 201214 yr comment_497894 hrmmm did not know that one.... wonder how many more are floating around I have heard there is a range of native crypts as well Report
September 20, 201214 yr comment_497904 I have heard there is a range of native crypts as well What!!! Gimme Gimme Gimme! Report
September 20, 201214 yr comment_497907 How do people scape a tank when entering a competion? is it all set up months in advance and maintained, this is something that has always confussed me Report
September 20, 201214 yr comment_497911 How do people scape a tank when entering a competion? is it all set up months in advance and maintained, this is something that has always confussed me Most enter with the competition in mind and try to replicate a nature scene found terrestrially. Then about a month before the competition they make sure the scape is looking clean, trim the plants back into shape and wait for them to grow a little so it doesn't look too artificial. There's a rule in some competitions forbidding photos of the aquarium to be reproduced before the competition which leads to much secrecy and ruins the fun of aquascaping IMO. Report
September 20, 201214 yr comment_497915 so they take photos of there tanks at home/work/display etc? Report
September 20, 201214 yr comment_497916 Most are home aquariums but there are a few professionals that do it for a job alongside their aquascaping business, Takashi Amano, Oliver Knott, etc. Report
September 20, 201214 yr comment_497918 I see, is there competions that are run in big halls, like bird and cat shows? if there is how do they sort there tanks, plants and fish then? Report
September 20, 201214 yr comment_497921 Not that I know of. It's very difficult to transport established tanks without disturbing the layout. At the aquascaping parties they simply display the photos on a large screen and sometimes have hardscape layout competitions for fun. Report
September 20, 201214 yr comment_497923 Thats what I thought as well. moving a fully established tank must suck! Hence why I have been so confuzzeled on the whole situation Report
September 20, 201214 yr comment_497928 I always thought they send in an independent photographer for the final entry pics Report
September 20, 201214 yr comment_497938 I always thought they send in an independent photographer for the final entry pics Not always possible with international competitions, the logistics and expense of that would be crazy. There have been a few (rare) cases of people editing their photos, not just colour balancing and light correction either, adding more plants and/or fish which is against the rules. Report
September 22, 201214 yr comment_498185 I think the layout is quite cool in this tank, but look at the fish! Wow http://www.barrreport.com/showthread.ph ... phone-pics Report
September 22, 201214 yr comment_498192 they had to have been added just for the photo. awesome tank though Report
September 22, 201214 yr comment_498193 I don't think that they were added just for the photo. Although he did end up removing them and put cardinals in the tank instead Report
September 22, 201214 yr comment_498198 Yeah I must admit that they are a bit ugly in a planted tank, but it is still pretty cool that he is having success with them. In the thread he said that they are breeding in there and that he has lots of fry. Report
October 8, 201213 yr comment_501218 ooooh thats nice, whats the light green plant poking up through the moss?? Report
October 8, 201213 yr comment_501221 ooooh thats nice, whats the light green plant poking up through the moss?? Looks like Hydrocotyle but click the image to go to the thread it's in 8) Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.