/pump for breeding box?

mcmillanm

Hi,

Whenever my corys breed and I collect the eggs into my breeder box they end up going fungusy, even when I put some acriflavine in the water. A couple of 'miracle' babies have survived being eaten by the parents over the last few months but I'm keen to improve the odds:)

I gather the problem is not enough air circulating in the breeding box. Combined with the netting I've got over the filter uptake I'm hoping to kill 2 birds with one 'air' stone and get some more oxygen circulating around the tank.

I aim to leave the airstone in the main tank except when I need it for the breeding box.

My question is what size pump should I use that will work for both the breeding box and main aquarium which is a 66L Jebo?

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, so have finally gotten the air pump and set it up with a gang valve so that I have the main airstone going all the time with the option to turn on a smaller airstone in the breeding box when needed.

Now all I need is my corys to breed again...

One other thing - if I use meth blue, do I just put a drop in the breeder box as won't it stain the tank otherwise?

Thanks

Ok, so corys spawned again this morning after a coolish water change and some glass cleaning. I scraped as many as I could comfortably collect and put in my breeder box with my newly set up air pump and turned it on. Do I go to the LFS and get some meth blue now or use the acriflavine I have left? My breeder box DOES have holes in it for some air flow so will meth blue stain everything for good?

Thanks

I knew my corys were looking frisky this morning LOL and now they look like they've swum a marathon (which they probably have) and are mostly sitting very quietly at the bottom of the tank.

BTW - I have albino, bronze and sterbais in the tank and suspect that the albinos and bronzes may be doing the deed together. The two babies I have sem a lighter bronze or dk green so far. Would this be because of their age or the combination of the colours?

Thanks for any responses.