High Tech Planted Tank UPDATE 06.10.2012 now closed down

si_sphinx

I’m going to turn my empty 700ltr+ tank into a high tech planted aquarium. 2.0m long 0.6m high 0.6m deep.

I did a low tech planted 300ltr tank for a few months and it didn’t really work out while flatting so now with a permanent place, I can give it a proper go.

The tank has a 100ltr sump for filtration from my previous cichlid setup. With ceramic rings, bioballs, filter wool etc. I know a sump for a planted tank isn’t recommended but I’ve heard some people have had success with this so I’m going to give it a go.

Lighting will be 3x 150w MH and 4x 80w t5 HO bulbs.

Pressurized CO2 with 2x diffusers, one each end of the tank.

Substrate will be a 4-5cm layer of Daltons aquatic mix with 3-4cm layer of 2mm gravel on top. I’m hoping that the Daltons won’t give me algae problems as long as it doesn’t get into the water and I don’t disturb it too much.

I will dose with trace elements, NPK, Iron etc but don’t know exactly what to buy or where from so if someone that has knowledge with these, please let me know. I still have some research to do on this.

I have a hollow log and a few tree roots for wood in the tank. I also want to put some stones and rocks in there. I want to make it as natural looking as I can.

Plants thank I have so far are various java ferns, anubias, vallisneria and moss.

I want to have the ferns up high tied to wood, anubias in the rocks and moss growing on the rocks and wood.

Also need to get a few swords, I don’t know what sorts yet, stargrass, hygro, crypts, balansae and affanis, and maybe some hair grass or dwarf sag.

AND the fish…

6+ discus, not sure what types yet.

A decent sized school of cories, 10-15 bronze or sterbai.

A school of tetras, not cardinals because everyone has them. I’m thinking 20+ rummy nose or silvertips.

6 Plecos, I’m hoping to get either L128 Blue phantom or L018 Gold nugget. What ever is easiest to get hold of…?

Also would 3-4 blue rams go well with this setup and fish?

I’ve thought about making this tank for a while now and have thought it through a lot. Along the way I will have questions and I will put up photos and updates as the tank progresses.

At the moment the tank is still empty so there is plenty of time for me to change things yet.

If there are things I haven’t thought of, please let me know.

Or if you have any questions please ask.

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For the trace elements, I think the easiest way would be to go the flourish comprehensive route. May not be the cheapest but it is good.

As for a school of tetras, a tank that size, I'd be looking for about 30-40+, if you can fit them in, k=just because they look much better in huge groups :roey:

Sounds really good though

HI Si,

Let me know if you need any plants

would ditch some of those fish but then it woudl be my tank...lol

Sumps are fine with planted tanks

great as a matter of fact.

You just need to be thinking differently

would go for all gear in sump and in line CO2

May want to use your HO lights on sump as a refuge and add baffles to decrease bubbles

Look into dwarf neon gouramis for a fish type

now you are going hi tech plant what bio type you looking at?

It will take a while to build up the fish I want.

Yea all the gear would be in the sump.

What would be more effecient, CO2 in the tank or in the sump? not sure how it would be plumbed inline with my return pump.

I was thinking of adding lights to the sump to grow plants on the side.

I haven't thought about what bio type I want.

I want lots of swimming room and don't want the overgrown look.

Ferns on wood. grass on the bottom. A few columns of stem plants.

I guess it would be an amazon type theme???

With the odd crypts here and there.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

:mbh: My lights have arrived... :happy1:

It came in two packages. One with the hood unit and a small box with the ballasts for th MH

100_0053.jpg

100_0054.jpg

100_0057.jpg

All the lights on

100_0059.jpg

MH off

100_0060.jpg

T5s off

100_0061.jpg

It came with the correct plug connections but they are upside down :facepalm:

So making drip loops in the wires makes it look messy.

100_0063.jpg

I won't be using the T5s or moon leds for this setup but will be handy for my future marine tank :D

I think the fans may need upgrading in the future as they don't sound very powerful for the amount of heat I felt the MHs put out after 5mins of turning on.

All up Im happy with the unit and can't wait to fill th tank.

I have brought all the timber for the stand and progress will start this weekend hopefully.