September 10, 201115 yr comment_453979 if you want some contrast you could try a dark mahogany or a taupe, or a shade that is in the fabric or decorations in the room - not as in your face as white. Report
September 11, 201115 yr Author comment_454008 Just need a little more sanding and the cupboard doors hung and its ready for the 1st coat of paint. Report
September 11, 201115 yr comment_454071 Looks like your doing an awsome good. Keen as to see how those lights go for you. :spop: Report
September 12, 201115 yr Author comment_454197 I think I'm going to need some help with putting the cupboard doors on because I don't know how to do it or if my doors will even work with the hinges. I may have to make some new doors :dunno: Report
September 12, 201115 yr comment_454246 I'm sure you could find a hinge that will work with those doors Report
September 12, 201115 yr comment_454248 I think I'm going to need some help with putting the cupboard doors on because I don't know how to do it or if my doors will even work with the hinges. I may have to make some new doors :dunno: come see me i have heaps diff types of hinges Report
September 12, 201115 yr comment_454252 Heaps of different types of hinges out there, some are quite pricey but I guess it depends on what you want to do vs what you can do. i.e. hidden hinge vs display hinge ( ornate art deco hinges mite look nice on that ) For my doors I just found something that was the same height as the bottom of the door and rested the doors on that, then I held the hinge in place and marked on the door and the base where the holes were and drilled a tiny hole. Worked perfectly except I cut my doors with a hand saw and they were a little uneven :sml1: Report
September 12, 201115 yr Author comment_454260 I can put normal hinges on easily but I have got hidden soft close hinges and have never installed them before. My doors are 20mm wider than the opening and on all my kitchen cupboard doors they are only 5mm. I'm worried the doors won't open because they have too much overlap. Can anyone help me with this that knows what I am talking about? Report
September 12, 201115 yr comment_454267 I would go to a joiner/kitchen maker in your area, take a door and hinge in and ask for their advice/opinions/ideas. IMO alot more productive than waiting for a carpentry answer on a fish forum :slfg: Report
September 12, 201115 yr comment_454284 I can put normal hinges on easily but I have got hidden soft close hinges and have never installed them before. My doors are 20mm wider than the opening and on all my kitchen cupboard doors they are only 5mm. I'm worried the doors won't open because they have too much overlap. Can anyone help me with this that knows what I am talking about? bring it over and ask dad he will know Report
September 13, 201115 yr comment_454338 Hey if you dont mind saying, how much money would a project like this cost? For the materials, not labour. Cheers Report
September 13, 201115 yr Author comment_454410 just the stand timber cost around $400 maybe more, $100 for screws, filler, sandpaper, door handles, hinges etc, i will try do more costs as i go on through the project. Report
September 20, 201115 yr Author comment_455091 Haven't done much work on the stand in the last few weeks. Ive ordered the new sump to be built, and the 1st 5 fish have been ordered as well :happy1: Various things have come in the post, sheets of filter foam :happy2: Overflow combs for sump and tank, more plants, and still waiting for the heater and Co2 regulator to turn up. Got the hinges sorted. Another $30 to buy this set to drill the right size hole in the cupboard doors. And 1st coat of under coat done 2 and a half hours later... Report
September 20, 201115 yr comment_455099 Looks good! What colour did you end up choosing to paint the cupboard? Report
September 20, 201115 yr Author comment_455102 I haven't brought anything yet but I was thinking a drark grey tone, almost black. I'm still not 100% sure. Has anyone got pictures of what they have painted their DIY stands? Report
September 21, 201115 yr Author comment_455173 How long will a 3.5kg co2 bottle last me on this tank running 2x diffusers? Report
September 21, 201115 yr Author comment_455198 So it would be 4-6 months if I use 1x diffuser? Or would a 6.3kg bottle be worth getting for the size of my tank? Report
September 21, 201115 yr comment_455199 I had a 5kg bottle on my 6 footer (6x2x2') and in order to keep the drop checker greeny-orange with an inline diffuser I would go through the bottle once every couple of months. You have a ton of light over this tank so your CO2 and ferts' amounts will need to be big in order to keep up. Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.