Hi from Whitianga, Coromandel

fishy-fish

Hi all,

I have recently reignited my fish keeping hobby after 15 years of fishlessness. Got hooked when I was 15 and spent 4 odd years in the hobby adding tanks to my parents disgust until they stopped me at 11! Had a go keeping most things and like most hobbiests, I went from guppys to cichlids pretty quick. (although I kept the guppies to feed the cichlids!) When adulthood was calling and I went flatting I said good buy to my fish and then work, marriage, kids etc took over. Anyway, fast forward to a few months ago, and I was chatting with my bosses one night after work and suggested we get a goldfish bowl for the desk at work... well one thing led to another and the goldfish bowl turned into a 6ft malawi tank! I work at Guthrie Bowron in Whitianga as the Flooring Manager and now I am the Fish Manager also! It's pretty sweet having a tank at work. I get to enjoy the fish all day long and get a kick at of clients and especially kids who take an interest and let me talk "fish". Well of course the buggers started breeding, so my bosses said I could have the fry as payment for fish management, so I convinced my beautiful wife to let me invest in a tank for home. A 500L tank! Then came the two breeder tanks in the garage and another one at work. It's like an addiction I tell ya!

So I am loving been back in the hobby. The knowledge is slowly coming back to me, and this website is fantastic and very helpful. (I've been trolling around for a couple of months before I finally joined).

In order to keep the Mrs happy and supportive, I'm hoping to make a little side income from breeding. At the mo I have 6 week old Red Top Cobolts (Metriaclima greshakei), Electric Yellows and 4 week old Demasoni's. I've got a nice Peacock colouring up with 4 females, so fingers crossed that they breed. PM me if you are interested in buying or trading fish.

Any hints, tips or advice is always welcomed and I look forward to getting to know you all.

Steve (Fishy-Fish)

• 3 weeks later...