Steriod cream on hands in tank

waterlogged

Ok so have just got a steriod cream for some slight Eczema (Locoid Lipocream 0.1%)

And at the time I didn't think of asking about the fish with this, though he probably wouldn't have known.

I have to apply it twice daily and on a section of my hands so I am a little bit worried what this may do to my little finned friends.

If I wait for an hour or so will it be ok?

or am I going to have to invest in a set of arm length gloves?

Any info would be great

James

Im no Dr here but I think this cream is mainly oil based so should probably be ok if you wait a few hours before diving into your tanks, here is some info:

Locoid Lipocream contains hydrocortisone butyrate, a non-fluorinated hydrocortisone ester [Pregn-4-ene-3, 20-dione, 11, 21-dihydroxy-17- [(1-oxobutyl) oxy (11β)-] for topical dermatologic use.

Chemically, hydrocortisone butyrate is C25H36O6. It has the following structural formula:

locoid-lipocream-01.jpg

C25H36O6

Hydrocortisone butyrate is a white to practically white powder with a molecular weight of 432.56. It is practically insoluble in water, slightly soluble in ether, soluble in methanol, in alcohol, and in acetone, and freely soluble in chloroform.

Each gram of Locoid Lipocream contains 1 mg hydrocortisone butyrate in a hydrophilic base consisting of cetostearyl alcohol, ceteth-20, mineral oil, white petrolatum, citric acid, sodium citrate, propylparaben and butylparaben (preservatives) and water.

I imagine it should be OK if you wait a while before putting your hand in the water. Hydrocortisone should be sparingly applied to the skin anyway. Keep an eye on the water surface in case it leaves a slight oily film on the surface. If you have a filter breaking up the water surface it should be OK.

Any farm supply place could sell you long gloves if you want to be sure though.

I will try and remember to ask the Dr at work tomorrow.

Most likely the roids will make their scales paper thin and they will get skin tears super easy. Topical steroids sound impressive but they are not nearly as awesome as the dodgy ones. I have been covering up in the stuff for 27 years and there is not a muscle to be found on me. (Miss HW) *Wanders off to apply more roids to skin*