Introducing My little Tank

lickindip

well since i have been out of the fish game for a few years and a few house moves i have had 2 leave the 4ft tank at my parents and start up a little tropical tank down here in the naki

DSC00592.jpg

DSC00591.jpg

Nothing Special at this stage. Just remembering the basics. waiting for my driftwood to 'de-salt' after finding it today

cant wait for the plants to bulk up a bit

yes i know my heater is massive (250W) but it was the only one i had :P

so far

1x Cory

2x Male Guppies added today (got to get my hands on a nice female now)

2x long finned Danio's

5x mountain minnows

wanting a little pleco next

wouldn't mind a couple of runted discus (anybody have any?)

Cheers

Lewis

That tank is too small for any type of discus full stop.

Also the amount of salt in the wood will not affect the fish in any way. More than likely it will benefit them.

More importantly with the wood is to ensure that the wood is not rotting. Rotting wood will easily contaminate a tank of that size.

nice.

Get at least 3 female guppies, there should always be more females than male guppies to help keep the stress levels down,, but then again there always seems to be a fav female that all the males want to chase.. typical!

Well my little piece of drift wood is now in on the bottom of the tank after glueing on a few rocks to the bottom ... once that settles in and a bit of alge growth arrives i think its will be time for a small pleco

anyone got any nice female guppies in the new plymouth area (will pick up) the stores ive been to either have none or an average selection

Cheers

yea gluing if fine just depends on the glue.

Just make sure you scrub all the debre off the out side, didn't do a good job on mine and came home to a mass of white moldy algae stuff on one peice. looked horrible. And aslong as you feed them alae wafers you can put the plec/bristlenose in now, they need more than just alae and wood

Added a few extra's last night,

now have

2 longfined danio's (getting quite fat and still eating heaps)

3 female guppies

2 male guppies (1 is starting to be a very shy, think the danio is peeing him off)

1 small comman brisslenose

1 peppered cory

5 mountain minnows

will let eveything settle now and let the plants grow a bit

im in 2 minds about getting more / less danio's

1 in particular is rather chassy sepecially towards my snakeshin yellow black male guppie (who i wouldnt mind getting babies off)

caused him to sheepishly sit in a corner and not feeding like the others. started getting little red marks of the end of his tail (dosed with the blue stuff whch has helped)

Yeah, I guess what people don't know about danios is that their hyperactivity is actually Semi aggressive behavior. Yeah really up to you. And how did you transfer the filter? In a bucket of warm tank water? Either wise the bacteria is most likely dead. You may have to recycle.

Good luck

Matt

been doing a few L water change each night and going to give the filter a bit of a check up soon to much sure to much new tank stuff isnt starting to fill it up

some times being over carefull is just as bad as being under carefull you know

Some bacteria are hardier than you think and can survive as long as they are kept wet. I have cycled a filter on my home tank then unplugged it and transported it to ChCh then set it up on a new tank about 4 hours later then fully stocked the new tank with the appropriate stocking level. All was well and no fish were lost.

I am sure there was enough bacteria in the filter to work on the new tank successfully.

• 3 weeks later...

well tank is coming along quite nicely now

few new plants so the back of the tank is filling in

2 female guppies

1 male

3 minows

2 zebra longfin danios

1 leapod long long fin danio

1 small common bristlenose

think the danios picked on one a few of the fish and stressed them ... getting the 3rd danio has shared the agression a bit now

any other little things i can add that might liven the tank up a bit?