Gravel vacuum problem

aquariumbeginner32

I have no idea what I'm doing lol When I use my gravel vacuum it just sucks the dirt up and then it floats around in the water and makes the water all dirty instead of going up the vacuum. So I have given up. The gravel really isn't getting very dirty as I've been feeding the minnows bloodworms as they wouldn't eat goldfish flakes and now they are actually eating the food it's not going yucky at the bottom of the tank. They were eating some, but not really interested in it. The dirt is mostly from the silly oxy shell I got which I won't be using anymore. When I use the gravel vacuum it makes the oxy shell stuff float around in the water so it's cloudy. GRRR

It's a manual vacuum. I forgot to ask at Animates if there was a better solution/way to clean the gravel. Is there an electric version of gravel vacuum or something easier to use?

Well I must be doing it wrong because it's just siphoning water out but not sucking up the gunk. And it barely gets water out as it is. It trickles instead of flowing. I can't even take 15-25% out with it.

Is there an electric one?

Why would you want an electric one when you have one powered by 5,973,600,000,000,000,000,000,000 kg pump?

What I usually do is fill the gravel vac with water and lift it higher than the tank so the water runs into the pipe, just as the water starts running into the bucket (which should also be lower than the tank since gravity causes the flow) then I put my finger infront of the tube to stop the flow, then I dunk the gravelvac back into the water upside down this time and sucking should start, there is lots of videos on youtube to explain this for you as well. Hold the gravelvac right down in the gravel/stones and let it suck all the dirt out, once the dirt is out lift it a little and go to a new spot. If you have sand then hold it just above the sand as to not suck all the sand out of your tank, Hope this helped you out in some way :thup:

Try to have the out end of the hose as low as possible in relation to the tank, e.g bucket on the floor. The further apart the in & out part of the syphon hose the faster the water will flow. If you can get to Weymouth send me a PM and i can show you how to get it flowing correctly.

Thank you to those that have been helpful! I found something I'm interested in getting, depending on the price... I'll probably end up getting it anyway... but if it's expensive I'll save up. It's the Eheim Automatic Gravel cleaner that uses batteries. I'm a girl lol So this is the first time I've ever used a siphon! My husband had a bit more success than I did. :oops:

My new tank is lower to the ground than the little one is so I'm guessing it's going to be even harder now :( Honestly, I think the instructions on the back of the pack were wrong. It says to have it so many cms from the gravel. All that happens is that the crap gets pulled up and then floats around in the water. GRRR

Sounds like insufficient flow to me. I have heard the battery operated siphons don't have much suck either. When I siphon my gravel I ram the tube as far into the gravel as it will go. I am more gentle over and about plants though so I don't kill the roots.

Sounds like insufficient flow to me. I have heard the battery operated siphons don't have much suck either. When I siphon my gravel I ram the tube as far into the gravel as it will go. I am more gentle over and about plants though so I don't kill the roots.

I have mine about 5-7cm above the gravel because on the instructions it said to have it so many cms above. When I clean it on Friday I will put it in the gravel and see if it makes a difference. I also found a video on YouTube of someone cleaning their tank with a gravel vacuum so I will watch it just before I do mine and hopefully it will work this time!

You asked earlier about an electric pump as a solution. With a few simple modifications you can hook your siphon up to your fish tank pump and pump it out that way. Depending on the type of pump you are using depends upon the modifications needed! Be careful not to get an electric shock or shock your fish and preferably only use internal tank pumps for this method of siphoning to start off with and don't run them dry!

You asked earlier about an electric pump as a solution. With a few simple modifications you can hook your siphon up to your fish tank pump and pump it out that way. Depending on the type of pump you are using depends upon the modifications needed! Be careful not to get an electric shock or shock your fish and preferably only use internal tank pumps for this method of siphoning to start off with and don't run them dry!

I thought that would be the case. Unfortunately I don't have a pump. Just the filter. What is the purpose of a pump? Probably a stupid question but hey, this is all new to me lol

I'm going to see how I go tomorrow using the gravel vacuum and if it still doesn't work then I will either get the Eheim Automatic gravel cleaner or get a pump. Depending on which is cheaper probably....