Are there any good alternatives to glass tanks?

undergroundfish

Hi everyone,

Does anyone have or know of any good alternatives to glass fishtanks to use for growing out tanks? I'd like to grow out some fish on a reasonably big scale. Not for profit really just because I enjoy the process. I cant afford a fishroom full of nice glass tanks and just wondered if there were any good alternatives. Obviously it depends on a whole range of things but any ideas comments etc about this question would be appreciated

Yeah, I havent decided what kind of fish yet because that depends alot on what is available and what good deals I am able to find at the time. but lets just say I wanted to grow out fancy goldfish. I know they would do better in ponds/outside but I don't have the luxury of owning either so my garage/wannabe fishroom it is. Please note I'm not just talking here I actually intend to do this so any helpful advice would be great. I'm also thinking something that is a little uniform I dont want odd sized tanks or what have you I'm not good with ugly :slfg:

• 2 weeks later...

If you want pretty setups and indoors I suggest you look at other fish. Guppies can be rewarding, corys are great fun; and if you have enough patience to wait for them to grow up fancy plecs and discus could be an option.

Orrrr you could just focus on display tanks, especially because you live in Whangarei and unless you go to Auckland often you will have to ship all your fry. Thus it will be difficult to flog your wares as it were.

• 3 weeks later...

I am gearing up to build a couple of insulated large tanks

1500w 800d 600+high

viewing window in front (double glazed)

Fully sealed units

if you have $$ I could do an extra one,

Have to work out costs but guessing $5-700

Lemme know if your'e keen, will work out some proper costs drawings etc

Owen