Another snail annihilation idea - Temperature?

hovmoller

So here's my latest "rid my tank COMPLETELY of snails" brainwave...

I know loaches, copper etc. but would like to avoid these methods

Raising the temperature

The plan:

Take out ALL fish and house elsewhere...

Slowly raise temperature to say... 45°C ???

I'm thinking that bacteria and plants should be able to cope with this for a little while but I don't think the snails will...

Anyone have experience (or experiments) with snails and temp tolerance?

And to the plant guys out there, could the plants survive 45°C for maybe half a day? (twisted val, swords, anubias, x-mas moss)

I've found going the opposite way by turning off the heater for a few days can sometimes work without harming the plants - a week or so and its not totally effective, someone should try a little of both - most things cant handle both extremes too close together

The only reason to avoid copper is for the few fish that are sensitive to it or if you ever plan to make the tank a reef. You're obviously going to take them out before this(I hope) so what's the point? Also, I'm skeptical of the plants handling it well.

The only reason to avoid copper is for the few fish that are sensitive to it or if you ever plan to make the tank a reef. You're obviously going to take them out before this(I hope) so what's the point? Also, I'm skeptical of the plants handling it well.

Yes but I'm worried with copper sulphate that it might kill of all the bacteria. And from what I have read it is never 100% effective if dosed as instructed.. I would have to overdose and then bacteria might die..

opinions?

@ 45 degrees you will probably end up with plants that resemble my Mothers cooked cabbage.

It will be too hot for them. Some plants dont even like the high 20s.

BUT, you try it and let us know :spop:

Was hoping other people had been guinea pigs before me :slfg:

I guess I could set up a small experiment tank.. would be interresting

How do you plan on bringing the temperature up to 45deg?! I'm no plant expert, but I'm pretty sure that your theory is a bit "scorched earth" lol.. Sure, you MIGHT kill the snails, but chances are the plants and bacteria won't make it either lol.

Don't use cannon to kill mosquito, young grasshopper.. :sage:

Did some research: Most garden pond sites states that at a temperature of 49°C the nitrifying bacteria will start to die.

I'm planning to use one of those portable water heating elements that you plug in to normal 240v.. I think it's around 1000w and then just monitor temp and turn on and off.

The snails I have are the little cinnabun shaped ones that you can easily crunch on the glass.. not sure of name.

Ok so now I just need to test a few plants if they will survive 45°C for half a day or so... :spop:

lol, it amuses me how you can go from

Did some research: Most garden pond sites states that at a temperature of 49°C the nitrifying bacteria will start to die.

to

the little cinnabun shaped ones that you can easily crunch on the glass..

A true scientific mind at work! :smln: :lol:

i have heaps of ramshorns but they never seem to get to full size, yet they continue to breed extensively.

I originally had one single ramshorn , now they are numerous across my 4 tanks.

My female betta was ruthless on their feelers though! (poor things)

I'm planning to use one of those portable water heating elements that you plug in to normal 240v.. I think it's around 1000w and then just monitor temp and turn on and off.

The snails I have are the little cinnabun shaped ones that you can easily crunch on the glass.. not sure of name.

Ok so now I just need to test a few plants if they will survive 45°C for half a day or so... :spop:

I have always known these ones as millions snails,I had these once introduced from some plants and they were very hard to eradicate

Later I unknowingly introduced the malaysian trumpet snails on some plants also,which kept the millions in check as they eat all the millions snail eggs they lay on the glass and over time they pretty much destroy the millions snail population.

The downside is that the trumpet snails multiply by the hundreds and they don't crush easily like the other type :an!gry

when i was battling staghorn i reorted to API algaefix, sure did have an immediate effect on ramshorns, mts however seem to be another story and i have some whoppers. chain loaches have no effect on these units but must keep the smaller ones in check

If you are using my ferts; then you are adding CuSO4 to the tank. :lol:

Clown loaches are ok with CuSO4; possibly to a lesser degree than other fish but they are not a 'scale-less' like many claim.

45 Deg C will cook your plants, so I wouldn't even dream of exploring that avenue.

I have some ferts that p44 sent me that he garanteed would kill off my snails. I didn't have any in the tank I tried it on so I've no idea if it works or not but you're welcome to some as a test if you like?

Hmmm.. a guarantee.... I like! (This means if it doesn't work P44 will have to come a pick out every snail one by one by hand :slfg: )

(googeling where arch hill is)