is there any mums and or dads that can help?

i am in need of some help please and i hope there is some mums and dads out there who have had the same or similar problems and some things to try!

my 9 week old is testing the patience of all in our house at the moment.

not sleeping during the day unless shes on me, that was ok, i could deal with that as i thought she might grow out of it. although its 4 weeks later and its no better.

then on saturday night she wouldnt sleep at all... 3.30am and still awake so after her feed i gave up and slept on the couch in the lounge, sitting upright just so she would go to sleep. its a bad idea i know, but i was so tired and we both needed to sleep!

i am now at my wits end. i really dont know what to do. ive tired letting her cry but then shes impossible to settle. she also falls asleep while feeding during the day, and also seems to comfort suckle, tried a pacifier last night and it worked, until it fell out and she started crying again....

PLEASE CAN SOMEONE HELP ME... i am going crazy, starting to doubt myself totally

So the baby is fine when upright but cries when lying flat?

Does she cry really hard or just grizzle?

Does she shut up when picked up?

I would suggest a milk allergy but it sounds like you are breast feeding :roll:

So the baby is fine when upright but cries when lying flat? was ok when up right but now cries either wayDoes she cry really hard or just grizzle? cries really hardDoes she shut up when picked up? does go quiet, sometimes it takes a while as i have to calm her

I would suggest a milk allergy but it sounds like you are breast feeding :roll:

yes i am breast feeding, ive had people tell me it could be what im eating, so im am working through all my food to see if that what it is

Poor you - you have my sympathy. I remember sitting up all night with my youngest. The nights seem sooo long.

She would only sleep upright- would be fine holding her or in her carseat. I was ready to throw her out the window LOL- easy to smile now -very stressful then.

I ended up taking her to an Osteopath (sp) who worked with babies and she was 90% better after 2 visits.

Good luck - I hope you find the answer soon

Poor you - you have my sympathy. I remember sitting up all night with my youngest. The nights seem sooo long.

She would only sleep upright- would be fine holding her or in her carseat. I was ready to throw her out the window LOL- easy to smile now -very stressful then. <--- i hear you, thats what i felt like in satI ended up taking her to an Osteopath (sp) who worked with babies and she was 90% better after 2 visits. <--- took her there today, she screamed the whole time, so we are going again next week, hopefully she sleeps better tonightGood luck - I hope you find the answer soon

Could be colic, if you're holding her, putting pressure on her tummy it may be easing the pain. Things to look out for when eating while breast feeding are, Onions, cucumber, cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, peas, brussel sprouts, relish, pickles or anything similar that taints.

If not she could just be a little bugger like our 2 year was, he only ever cat napped day and night 10 or 15 mins at a time and drove us up the wall, really nothing you can do but work through it, nine weeks is still very young, just keep persevering and things will get better.......eventually.

Just wait till teething comes along..............

I also found the book " The baby whisperer" by Tracey Hogg and Melinda Blau ( I think it was) had some very helpful advice. I borrowed it from the library.

Fingers crossed you get some sleep tonight

Also if you get really shattered you can go to the plunket rooms and they will look after baby while you have a sleep.

im with u my boy wont sleep at all awake all day and night i was the same at wits end even had acapunture done at 6 weeks refer from doctor made me fell so bad i still crinch at the thought of getting a baby that at that age but i know no better first time mum then at 6mths a doctor prescriped me mylanta or some thing like that as he had a reflax problem his relax valve wont close off after i feed him and he made to much acid in his tummy after this he sleeped but never came right but hes now 20 and still at hme so all good hope all works out

My only suggestion is to get a friend/family member to relieve you from time to time so you can get some sleep. It can be tough without a break. One of my four kids slept through at 8 weeks - another took 18 months! Now we know why sleep deprivation is used as a form of torture.

Sounds like colic. Both my kids had it. I breastfed my daughter till 2 so you don't need to stop unless your milk is not strong enough and then you can also just subsitute with a bottle and still give a breast feed. We used to found that after the breastfeed we would hold her so that she would lay with her whole body on our arm especially her sore tum and then gently sway with her, she would drop off to sleep and then we would put her in her wedge on her side. I also put gripe water on my nipples before feeding, I took my time with feedings, winding every so often so it was not one solid feed. This all helped with my daughter, my son however was so bad medicine was required after each feed. It was special medicine we got from the pediatrician, then someone told us that his neck or back could be adjusted by a chiropractor as well and that sometimes helps. You will need to see what works for you and if you still battle go see a pediatrician and perhaps they could refer you or help you out. Just be strong, if things get too much rather put your baby down and go sit in a different room for a few minutes, sometimes its the best thing to do. You calm yourself and then you can look after her/him better and with a clear head. All the best for you, colic is not an easy thing to cope with

hiya

Firstly - HUGS!!!

Secondly - sounds like you are doing a GREAT job with her, I mean it.

Both my first and second kids were the same. Some kids are not good sleepers at that age, compounded by coffee groups/friends/your mothers children who had angelic babies that had day naps of 2-3 hrs at a time :roll:

You need to get some sleep, so find someone who can take over for you while you have a good nap. If you don't have family or a friend that can do that, ask your plunket if there is a parent centre near you as a friend went to one and they looked after her baby while she had a sleep. When you have some sleep you really can cope with anything, so what screams at me from your post is that you are really really tired and need a break.

I recommend getting a frontpack or an ergo, so you can be handsfree while baby chooses to sleep on you, as a backup plan for sanity when nothing else worked, and you are sick of putting them down for the millionth time. It got me through for all three kids. The other thing that I made sure I had for my third child after the madness that was 3 min naps of my second child was a rocking cradle or some way to rock baby to sleep. I think the other thing I recommend is throwing away your watch or clock so that you stop checking feed times/ length of nap and just roll with it - it sounds dumb but it honestly made a big difference with my first boy.

Yay you for breastfeeding, it is hard work to begin with but it is well worth it down the track if you are able to keep going with it.

9 weeks is still young. I certainly don't miss the sleep deprivation. Gripe water is magic juice!

I think the only thing I can say is do whatever works. Every book on the market contradicts every other book on 'the right way' of parenting and it's not usually until the 2nd baby that you realise that it doesn't matter what worked for one person and their one baby so they wrote a book about it.

It sounds like colic to me too and if you can get them off to sleep by them sitting upright on you then let that happen. You might be in for a month or 2 of that or it could take a year. again - 9 weeks is not really old.

Hope plunket help you out with some ideas. Good luck :)

hi all, just a quick update....

went to osteopath on monday, he said her hip was tight, he loosened it off, tried to do some other things but she started screaming, for what reason i dont know but the monday night sleep was much better, was 2 lots of 3hours, so thats better than the weekend.

tuesday she didnt hardly sleep in her bassinet, but did a few short sleeps in it. that night she slept 12.30am til 5.30 (yes it was a late night but atleast she slept)

wednesday not sleeping much in her bassinet either, but we are getting there. that night she slept 12am until.....7am!!! i couldnt believe it, i was blown away when my partner got up for work and she was still asleep.

then after her feed she went back down 8.30am to 11.30am. she never used to go back down alone after 6am... HUGE step forward.

many people and plunket have told me to try feed/nappy change/feed/play then wrap up and pop into bed.... it works a treat for me....................

now its just getting her to sleep alone during the day!