Co2 systems

Ismart120

Hi guys,

Looking at setting up co2 on a juwel 180 (when eqc comes through), what is out there and what do people have for similar sized tanks?

I'd rather have a pressurized system if possible, although there doesn't seem to be much out there? The fluval systems look to have a fairly high upkeep cost and I'm not sure how long a 88gm bottle would last anyway.

Looking to be growing crypts mainly with some ferns, anubias and mirco swords (ideally) and anything else people suggest.

Anything at this point would be good.

I purchased a second hand co2 fire extinguisher off trademe and an Up Aqua co2 regulator with solenoid off ebay and I'm all set. Cost less that $200 all up and should last a few months at 2-4bps before needing re-filling. I can highly recommend going down this route if you can find a second hand extinguisher in test.

I was assuming that you will be using a regulator with a solenoid valve to turn off the co2 at night when it isn't needed?

If so you can expect a Ph swing of about 1 degree between day and night. Its this Ph swing that some crypts don't like.

Anubias is a slow grower and does better in my low light, no added co2 tanks.

All of my java ferns grow just as well if not better in my no added co2 tanks.

True - hadn't thought of the night pH shift - how would having an air stone turn on/ reducing the bubble rate at night work?

If not the co2, what else can be done to speed/increase up the crypts growth? (Assuming a substrate fert and regular water changes)

I grow wendtii and a few other crypts in my co2 injected tanks but they grow just as well in my other tanks. I have always had trouble with Balansae in co2 tanks but my co2 tanks also have high light levels which could also be a negative factor.

With a bit of luck supasi will see this thread, he's the crypt expert.

I was talking about light levels.

My co2 injected tanks have high wattage MH lighting.

Probably not ideal for crypts

Although - my crypts are doing ok under my MH lamps. They're extremely temperamental though so I wouldn't be surprised if they one day decided to melt off and never come back.

Sweet ok, general consensus that co2 isn't needed for crypts if I go that path?

I kept them before the earthquakes (talk about crypt melt) and had some really nice large ones that were producing offshoots every few weeks and would love to get back up to that asap when I get a new tank. Come to think of it, if too much lighting is not so good for them, does that mean the t5's in the juwel vision 180 would be fine as is then?

This is my crude but effective co2 system. Pros are it cost next to nothing. Cons are it takes me about 10 mins every morning to adjust it, and I have to turn it off at night. I defuse it through a ceramic frit which cost me $8 on trademe. I already had the old sodastream machine and 2 bottles but I think you can get them quite cheap.

DSCF3357.jpg

I will get a better system over time, but I have to look at other ways as I don't have a fat wallet at the best of times. My friend is bringing me back the adapter, reg and solenoid from Aussie in about 5 months I can't wait for that.

I'm fairly sure that's tortifolia, well I hope it is haha. It's not happy anways but only been in a few days.

DSCF3359.jpg

haha nothing dangerous about it, its just co2, airline flies off with too much pressure. Worst case I loose a bottle of co2 :P

Its still co2 :P Cant fault the effect its had on the plants either.

This way there is more expensive setups left for you rich people to buy :)

I shall clear a place on the shelf awaiting my award :D