Arowana Discussion Thread

ally07

this picture

http://www.imperialarowana.com/gallery.php?gid=127-3fe8ad317d

looks more like under whtie light, that is realistic p[erhaps

its a vip from imperial, i would be happy wit that :happy1:

Geez.. That is truly blood red lol. The guys in the breeding farm video are so rough with the fish lol! You'd think they would be a bit gentler with fish worth a few grand.. :roll:

does anyone own a siver with no drop eye?

I'm pretty sure that the super expensive platinum silver arowana doesn't have DE either. But with that fish, any flaw would be unforgivable!

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find it a big deal, even though the fish seem to live normal lives with it, it would just continually irk me which is why I wouldn't keep one. Koji on MFK has posted several pics of his comm tanks with a bunch of good sized silvers all with no DE, but he ignores anyone who asks how! I've often wondered if its not to do with having bright lights above the tank and constantly looking down and not up when hunting.

constantly looking down and not up when hunting.

Yeah there is usually too much going on below an arowana in an aquarium.

Have just seen the legendary doco "rivers of the sun" and in their natural habitat I think it's usually pretty dark and murky below and they are constantly looking for food on or above the surace.

Agree DE is naff!

I'm not entirely sure I buy the whole "looking down" theory. I mean, how much does an aro need to look down before it develops DE? Even if there are bottom dwellers in the tank, it wouldn't mean that the aro would be looking down 24/7. Something I've observed recently about aro eyesight. When I throw mealworms in and they float, my aro will see them and eat them. If they start to sink, he will still see them if they are in the 90 deg angle between the level of his eye and the top of the water where his head is. Once it drops a further 5 deg lower than his eye level, he doesn't see it anymore and doesn't chase it. Even if he is far away enough to see the mealworm dropping, he will pursue it, but once it drops below the level of vision, he turns around as though nothing happened.

This is reasonable, since aros are top/ middle feeders, that's why their eyes are designed like that. Lots of fish keepers in Asia keep aros with stingrays with no DE. I suspect that at the end of the day, it's a low-fat diet with good genes that will guarantee no DE.

I'm not convinced about the diet thing (although it may help), I did keep a silver for a short while and despite eating nothing but pellets and prawn it started to develop it. Interesting observation about the sinking mealworms, but its hard to tell if he's not seeing them or just ignoring them. My green would spot pieces of shrimp on the bottom of the tank and scoop them up, and so does my black, so they certainly see downwards when they want to.

I'm not convinced about the diet thing (although it may help), I did keep a silver for a short while and despite eating nothing but pellets and prawn it started to develop it. Interesting observation about the sinking mealworms, but its hard to tell if he's not seeing them or just ignoring them. My green would spot pieces of shrimp on the bottom of the tank and scoop them up, and so does my black, so they certainly see downwards when they want to.

Ohh man, now I think the case really is genetic lol! But does that mean that Koji just picked all the right silvers??

With the sinking food, even though some of them he completely misses because it's out of his vision, some of them he blatantly ignores. For instance, if I drop a piece of shrimp and he's too far away to get it quickly enough, he will pursue until it hits the ground. He knows it hit the ground, he saw it, but he won't touch it after that. This is where I curse and grumble and roll up my sleeves and retrieve the prawn before it starts rotting. :an!gry I think my green is a prima donna. :roll:

They all have different personalities! Maybe you need a couple of big bichirs to pick up the shrimp he misses, I had the opposite problem, I couldn't get the green or dats to leave any sunken prawn for my ornate!!

My ornate isn't big enough to eat the chunks of prawn yet.. :facepalm: But eventually he will! I'm also growing out an albino and a delhezi in my sump till they are big enough to not be eaten/ to fight for their own share of food. Still tempted by the palmas, but really can't afford anymore fish at the moment lol..

nothing rots in the red tank thats for sure.

anything that drops past halfway is snatched up!

prawn, beef, beefer mix, pellet, clown loaches, barb, flagtail will snatch it up instantly.

lol, I wish I had space for such a large cleanup crew!

On another note, I just read something on Facebook. Some disgruntled house maid in Singapore poured CHLOROX into the employer's ARO COMM TANK. Looks like there were about 10+ fish inside, I think I spotted some RTGs, but can't be sure. Sickening. :sick: :an!gry

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150209484853155.309767.262947298154

You should be able to view the album because it's linked through SPCA Singapore's Facebook page.

"Mischief by killing or maiming any animal 428. Whoever commits mischief by killing, poisoning, maiming or rendering useless, any animal shall be punished with imprisonment for a term which may extend to 5 years, or with fine, or with both."

Excellent law!

Firstly, inhumane and disgusting. Secondly, it's like being actively passive-aggressive lol. She's got a problem with the employer but doesn't do anything about it, instead kills all his fish. Sheesh, some people! :roll:

Stumbled onto an old post on Arofanatics and saw the most horrible thing. This silver was kept by an old man (the member's father in law) in a 2ft tank. Somehow the silver managed to grow to an estimated length of 60cm (2ft)!! This is really proof that fish don't "grow to the size of their tanks".. Biggest aquarium myth ever!

upload3.jpg

upload1.jpg

uploa2.jpg

The fish looks so sad! :tears:

this is very common in asia.

even expensive asian aros are kept in 4 foot or 3 foot tanks, they can hardly turn.

and yes ik have seen monsters in small tanks, but i think generally speaking, they dont grow as big in small tanks, this may be a fluke.