• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

tell me about it. it was a good shed

:sml1:

Plan for the future, build a bigger shed!

I hope she wasn't a fishkeeper also. Breaking up with someone who also keeps fish is a logistical nightmare and moving fish and tanks to two places 300ks apart is the least fun i've ever had ha ha. :slfg:

I just made an amazing lunch-dinner (is it too late for lunch or too early for dinner??) with grilled zucchini and eggplant and it was the best! I am now obsessed and planning eggplant based meals for the week involving everything ripe in my garden, which means a whole lot of beetroot, tomatoes, more zucchini, and so many salad greens. Yum!

:happy2:

took the ship wreck out of teh fish tank today and replaced it with a nice bit of drift wood :D

422505_10150686516646438_737451437_11563601_1542891038_n.jpg

hope the fish enjoy it :D

ohhhh got the CO2 cylinder up and running aswell :D

got a question for you lot. . . is marine worth the effort, an Aqua One AquaReef 300 & Cabinet has caught my eye. . .

-smurff

hhmmm. . . had a look at a redsea 250 tank today, was on spacial for $4800 (normally $6000ish), is a fair bit of money, compared to the Aqua one which is $2000 at HHF. is the redsea unit really that much better

i did consider converting the tropical tank, but dont think i could part with my fish lol

-Smurff

From what I've read apparently Red Sea make some really good starter kits. I'd give the Red Sea tank a go. IMO Aqua One tanks aren't really that good - the stock lighting isn't bright enough for most corals, and also on all the tanks I've seen the lighting is a couple of inches at the most above the water, and isn't shielded so salt splash can easily get onto the tubes. The tubes on the Aqua One display tank at the local shop here are completely covered in salt splash!

When it comes to marines, it's better to pay more for quality products rather than to buy cheaper products and stuff up and possible end up leaving the hobby from frustration.

that thought had crossed my mind, do have a friend who may be able to build me a nice cabinet. may look into prices of getting a tank built. but then theres lights and piping and everything else, piping it up will be a bit beyond me and same with how to setup a sump

-smurff

something like 1200 long, 500 wide, 600 tall (360L)? metal halides for lighting and something like 80L sump.

i think i have a lot of research to do, there is a lot of stuff to figure out for the plumbing and the dividers and bits for the sump.

the tank looks like the easy bit hahaha

-smurff

something like 1200 long, 500 wide, 600 tall (360L)? metal halides for lighting and something like 80L sump.

i think i have a lot of research to do, there is a lot of stuff to figure out for the plumbing and the dividers and bits for the sump.

the tank looks like the easy bit hahaha

-smurff

sounds goo maybe 600 wide 500 tall? i dont know your decision :)

where would you put an overflow? middle or side?

The wider the tank, the more surface area and more space you have to grow corals, and also the stonger the tank will be as the weight is spread out more. Basically if the height is the same as the width or less, the tank will be really strong. If you want the height to be greater than the width, then depending on the situation you may need stronger glass or bracing.

For example, I could build a tank with the dimesions of 120x60x45cm which would hold 320L, and I would need 10mm glass and it would have a safety factor of 6 which is really good. I could make the same tank, except swap the height and the width around (so 120x45x60cm) and I would need 12mm glass and it would have a safety factor of 4. But it still holds 320L like the first one.