Hey... What is this ?

Deepsound

it looks like a collection of items that have washed up on a North Sea beach (so much crap!) but what a piece of Duplo and a toothbrush are doing in there I don't know. I go with Hovmoller's water beast stomach contents otherwise. It could also be the contents of a mermaid who smokes' handbag :sml2:

Yes, this is what you can find in ONE albatrosse's stomach :o

All kinds of plastic - toys, shopping bags, asthma inhalers, pens, cigarette lighters, toothbrushes, combs, bottle tops. The birds had swallowed them and choked to death :tears:

Same thing for turtle, whales, dolphins, seals and fish.

There is a kind of plastic continent as large as Africa over the oceans :cry:

Picture from Rebecca Hosking.

"She was filming wildlife in the Pacific. What sounded like a nice job turned into something from a David Cronenberg film". She decided to take action !

"There were humpback whales, seals and turtles - all dead or dying from the plastic. Wherever they went the sea was full of tiny pieces of plastic and every tide brought more. On the leeward side of Midway they found thousands of albatross chicks dead or fatally weakened. Hosking picked up one still alive. It pecked her and then died too. At that, Hosking broke down in anger and distress. Most people would have left it there (...). She finished the film for the BBC. Then she set about banning plastic bags. Just like that.

In under a month, working with friends and showing her film, she persuaded all 43 Modbury shopkeepers to replace the plastic bag, the symbol of the throwaway society, with reusable cloth bags. What started as a six-month trial period became a permanent voluntary project, and the town's traders now reckon they have avoided 500,000 bags ending up in the environment." (Guardian)

When I see even one single person can change things, it makes my day :)

One of my uni papers last year had a group project where you went to a beach and picked up all the debris on the beach... we picked up a couple thousand bits, the class total was ~35,000 bits of rubbish.

They find plastic debris like that in seals in Antarctica, it goes up the food chain.

wow...

Same thing in France, may be worse. We got what industry calls "mermaid tears".

Such a poetic name for plastic pellets, an incredible pollution we can find on the beaches.

6a00d8341bfcfe53ef010536cc5b5d970c-800wi.jpg

We also have regular green algae invasion because of fertilizers used for agriculture.

algues_vertes-c81b7.jpg

(this is not a meadow, just low tide...)

ps : what does "uni papers" means ?

It is a study and "uni" is for "university" ?

wow...

Same thing in France, may be worse. We got what industry calls "mermaid tears".

Such a poetic name for plastic pellets, an incredible pollution we can find on the beaches.

6a00d8341bfcfe53ef010536cc5b5d970c-800wi.jpg

We also have regular green algae invasion because of fertilizers used for agriculture.

algues_vertes-c81b7.jpg

(this is not a meadow, just low tide...)

ps : what does "uni papers" means ?

It is a study and "uni" is for "university" ?

You could be a rich man if you went round picking up all those coins :wink:

According to my source, it is not caffeine, though it may have caffeine in it..... :sage:

is that enough of a clue? :cofn:

It is relatively similar to caffeine in structure, but this is called theobromine. Chocolate has it. Thing I wrote above should be it's IUPAC name.

pfrt to you chemo-nerds.

It was a chocolate molecule, or so Google told me. Who am I to believe if Google is now wrong :nilly:

next please! :spop:

Chemically chocolate would be considered a mixture or a solution. There is no single chocolate molecule.:)

Maybe if you were to react carbon, hydrogen, oxygen, another carbon, another oxygen, lanthanum, and tellurium... That would get you C-H-O-C-O-La-Te