Does something leech out of black silica sand?

henward

swanson industrial sands sell black silica

does anyone know, does this affect water params?

i know silica doesnt, but black silica?

any experiences?

or facts at hand?

i heard it may leech something

i am looking at buying this but dont wanna risk fish life of course.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The black sand sold by LFS's looks more like man made sand to me, maybe from glass or similar. Iron sand is black, and Lava sand is also black, I don't think either of these would be good in a tank.

Any reason why? I assume the iron in the sand Henward is talking about would somehow leach into the water collumn which would be good for amazon swords but maybe bad for fish, although I'm not sure of that.

AquariumsFerric oxide in a granular form (GFO, granular-ferric-oxide) is readily available for purchase in the saltwater aquarium and reef community. Its primary function as a filtration media is to pull phosphates out of the water column to aid in the control of nuisance algae. Branded products such as PhosBan, ROWAphos, and PhosLock contain proprietary blends of granular-ferric-oxide and granular-ferric-oxide-hydroxide (GFH).[6]

got this from wiki as before.

what does it mean in freshwater?

it says that ferric oxide is used in salt water

what but i cant find what effects it has in fresh water.

will it alter ph, make it basic? acid reacts to it thus making it basic? dont know.

im not really a chemist:) that why im asking for help.

it will help with blackbeard algae in the freshwater tank lol thats good

but what else?

will it poison wateR?

I'm not sure if the iron in iron sand is bad but ore sands tend to also be full of lots of other heavy metals. I'm guessing they would be reasonably stable in salt water (as GFO is) but the pH tends to be stable and up round 8, fresh water tanks often tend down to 6pH or so which is low enough to dissolve some substrates.

I have no idea if this is actually an issue, but given that it doesn't seem to be commonly used I'd hazard a guess that it is a problem.

Someone on here used iron sand collected from Muriwai (or similar) for a native freshwater setup.

He/she had an avatar with an awesome looking torrentfish lying on black sand..

Perhaps he/she woul dknow more on this... Sorry can't remember who it is.

But maybe do a search on torrent fish or something

yeah i guess im keeping arowana, clown loaches

maybe not worth the risk!

i will call swanson sands, ask if they have any black sands that is stable and inert.

but if not, i will have to settle for the midnight or satin black !!

i bought a sample to see how fine

reason is that i dont wanna gravel siphon to clean and silica fine sand tends to not let dirty down the bottom of substrate

apparently the satin black is same stuff but fine like silica sand,

when wet, it becomes black as the properties change

i am going to morrow to check it out to see how black ti is.

if its darke nough iw ould gowith it,

id ont wanna risk the ferric oxide stuff

I did a little research on page 2 of this thread: http://www.fnzas.org.nz/fishroom/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=52336&start=15

to be honest I though Henward had some already. From what I read I thought that it wouldn't do anything unhelpful other than if it got in the impellor. You needed double the amount of phosphate removing products for freshwater than salt if that helps you decide.

the midknight stuff i got is nowhere near as dark as black silica sand, I can't even call midknight black -its grey. But maybe they screwed up, in that case i am pissed off with them :an!gry

Follow this link and you will see black silica sand and midknight sand mixed togeather.

http://www.fnzas.org.nz/fishroom/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=50854

As mentioned on page 1 I use black iron sand, collected from south of Raglan.

This stuff is very heavy, a 3/4 full 10l bucket will weigh in at some 20kg.

I haven't had any issues with it other than the second lot I got had lots of very fine 'dust' that clouded the thank for about a week. I don't test pH so cant say one way or another how it effects this, and I dont grow plants so cant say how good it is for this - but I can't see that there would be any problems. About it getting into the filter, I have had some get into my cf1200 but it just sits in the bottom - doesn't seem to work it's way up to the impeller.

See http://www.fnzas.org.nz/fishroom/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=50025 page 2 & 3 for photos

ps Depending where it is collected from the colour will range from very dark blue/black to very dark grey to grey. One interesting thing that happens is the iron sand and silica/rock/etc will separate out slightly to give bands and patterning where there is different amounts of current or if you poor it through the water column.

Back satin midnight from Petstuff101 is extremely fine gravel, it is not sand. I also have the fine gravel but not the sand and it's almost black depending on the lights shining at the time. If you are buying it for looks then great, if you are buying it for fish with barbels then I suggest not so great but each to his own. The only thing I would now get to make my planted tank base blacker is the Iron Sand concentrate from Swanson Industrial Sands, or a beach if I ever got that far, but for a handful or so that I want, it's not a priority.

any9one here tried the stuff from swanson industrial sands?

i believe it may have adverse effects in my water.

i dont wanna risk it

satin black if black enough will be ok for me

does anyone know where to source these in larger bulk?

I will need a large amount.