200 watt heater in a 240 litre aquarium?

HummingBird

:evil: GGGGGRRRRRRRRRRR! ! :evil:

I hate this American system of saying the size of a tank.

The litres only give the amount an aquarium holds.

Why? oh why? do we have to follow the yanks in everything that they do.

I vote for giving the SIZE of the tank.

Length x Width X Height.

PLEASEEEE :hail:

Alan 104

I can see were you are coming from alan, but when talking heater size do we not look at it as x amount of watts per liter and therefore the literage of the tank would be correct.

I agree on the LengthXWidthXHeight thing tho as I find it very hard to picture a 250litre tank.

B

The big aquarium is 120cmx45cmx45cm, the little one is 60cmx45x30. Which would be the better option to have a 200w heater in?

My opinion is neither. 200w wouldn't be enough for 250 litres and wasted in 60 litres. But you could say add another smaller one and use it in the 250 litre tank.

Hmm, I may just use it in the 60L. I'm only asking because I bought a tank off trademe that's coming with a 200w heater (it was an absolute steal too, check it out, $210 for all this - http://www.trademe.co.nz/structure/auct ... d=20786922 ),I'm going to be using that tank for my Axolotls (coldwater) and turning my 4ft and 2ft into tropical community tanks. I'll just get a 300w heater for the 4ft - that should be ok right?

Sorry but I don't agree Alan and Ballistic - I'm just the opposite - I darn well wish that people would put the literage size of their tanks instead of the measurement - I find it extremely hard to picture the size of a tank when measurement is given without getting out my tape measure!

I suppose that's because I know the literage of all of my tanks off by heart so compare with those. How on earth do you calculate anything to be added to your tank by only knowing the measurement and not literage?

It's all done by drops/tsps/etc per litre.

BTW you two guys took over Hummingbirds subject forum and didn't even bother to answer her question! Very rude.... :roll:

200W would be ok for 250L if it's inside in a well insulated house. I only use 2 x 300W in my 1200L to hold 27-28'C and even then only one heater is enough even in the middle of winter.

If it's a fairly cold house then 200W might be a little on the light side. It also depends on what temperature you want. It takes a much smaller heater to hold 24-25'C than 27-28'C.

Try it and see...

250 liters IS the size of the tank. I find it much more useful than how most of the old people just go "It's a 4 foot." There are about a billion different variations on 4 foot that make that totally useless. I have 3 different 4 foots myself.

Hi

IMHO a 200 watt heater in a 60l tank would be fine

we have 200 watt heaters in all of our tropical tanks (Around 70 liters),

if you have the heater then use it. 100-150 watt would be about right for that size tank, the is not much difference in cost between any of the heaters

It would not cope in a 250 littre tank, use a 300 watt for that one

Bruce

Keep in mind Bruce, Hummingbird is in Auckland and it's not that cold there. 200W should be ok. As I said earlier, try it to see if it's enough. If there are no fish in the tank it won't matter. 300W is enough for my 1200L tank and thats 2400 x 810 x 640mm with no insulation on any surface...

Even in the middle of winter 300W is just enough. One heater is on nearly all the time but it hold the temperature at 27-28'C no probs. The second heater is just a backup (even though heaters often fail on) and never turns on. Every now and then I take it out of the tank and put it in slightly cooler water to test it still goes...

My 1100 litres of water survived winter running on 3x 300 watt, in the garage. My tanks have no lids and are exposed to the air. No problems at all. Its on my reef tank which has sensitive inverts that hate heat changes. I have justed adding a 1400 litre tank to this system, still running with the 3 heaters, although winter may require me to add a 4th heater, I am hoping not.

I am sure that heater is fine for either of the tanks.

Good luck

Pie

Okay then, for the sake of the oldies around, and the not so old.

How about a compromise?

Put up the litres and the measurements.

Us oldies were taught how to do maths in our heads and can even every now and then use a calculater.

Tanks are normally constructed to what the eye sees as "nice"

Cubes look "nice"

So a 4 footer was usually 4x2x2

A 6'er was 6x2x2.

A 2"er 2x1x1

Or for those pedantic ones, the metric equivalent.

Next thing you know we will be getting the "long" and "high" being added.

That means absolutely Jack S*** to most pll.

Dawn please notice, I did reply to HB's Q.

But I presume you missed it as you and I was sending together.

I am a carpenter and can "see" what sizes look like.

Alan 104

IMHO you are far better of using two smaller heaters than one large, that way if one fails.......

I use two 150W in my 4 foot 200 litre tank running at 29ish degrees, with no problems.

I also now only buy heaters with electronic therometers instead of the bimetalic strip type. I don't know that they will last any longer but figure I would rather they stopped working when they failed instead of jamming on like the others can. Would like to hear other think about this.

Dawn please notice, I did reply to HB's Q.

But I presume you missed it as you and I was sending together.

Yes you hadn't made your SECOND reply when I said that - as it turned out I must have taken longer to type my reply because your second one turns up before mine!

And I agree with Ira - the literage IS the size of the tank!

I'm in two minds esp now I have a 3 foot that holds almost 300 litres! I have alway worked on the 3 foot 4 foot etc rule of thumb but to be honest all (okay most) of the advise given is in ?? per litre, like inch of fish per litre, watts of light per litre, watts of heat per litre, etc etc. In most cases it is the volume that really matters not how long the bottom of the tank is.

Now lets start a debate over litres vs gallons.....

Hi scalare here

Have look at the jager (frome eheim)heaters they heat a lot more than your normal heaters. Normal heaters is :

100w=100 ltr

200w=200ltr

300w=300ltr etc.

jagers are :

100w=100 to 200ltr

200w=300 to 400ltr

300w=600 to 1000ltr

so they are cheaper in juse (elc. bil) and a good and dont kost more thene the others.

scalare

100 watts is 100watts, 300 watts is 300 watts. The efficiencies of the heaters is going to be almost identical, only difference is jager's marketing department decided to fiddle with the tank volume ratings and instantly made their heaters look "Twice as powerful"

I think that a 300w heater would be struggling in anything over the 600-700 ltr mark. Depending on the heat loss of course.

It doesnt matter what size heater you use (without being silly like 50w in a 1,000,000 ltrs or 5000w in a 10ltr tank) the price to heat water 1 degree in a 100ltr tank is the same with a 100w or a 500w. The 100w heater will be on 5 x longer.

I also like the idea of both LxWxH and Ltrage.

eHi there

My brother and I have workt whit jeager heaters lost of times and trust me it works fore the ltr. thay say. My two tanks both run on jagers tank 1 of 500ltr. and a 80ltr. bio filther (580 ltr. in total)

tank 2 of 600ltr. and a 120ltr. bio filther (720 ltr. in total)

never had a problem with my temp. Not even in the winter time with my room temp. at 5 degrees. My brother has a

1000ltr. tank with a 300ltr. bio filther (1300ltr.)

and 2 heaters of 300w. and most of his tank

inc. the filter are in a un heatet garage (the winters in holland are normal aprox -5 or more out zide) other brands din't pul this of in our tanks I had to run 3 heaters in (2x300w 1x200w) my first tank the 600ltr one to keep the temp right . and than I had 1 new jagger with my second tank and it workt a lot better and chancet the 3 fore 1 jeager no problems at all

can you explain this pleace and yes my brothers tank is insolalet but stil more than 85% of it is in the garage.( Mine where not insolelet.)

greating scalare