Driftwood

supasi

I used to love visiting my grandparents in Wanganui when i was a kid so i could collect driftwood, even though it was always windy and cold.

Not fair!

Not windy and cold here.

We had the nations high the other day. The sea is as flat as Lake Taupo today when I went and took those pics.

Where is Fonganui?

Are you kidding?

Even I got that one and I'm from Denmark :wink:

Nice shots Simon... When I was there the ocean was a washing machine from hell and I nearly vomitted after discovering a half rotten seal just beside where I was digging out a nice piece of driftwood! :sick:

Yes I am kidding.

I was just pointing out the fact that the pronunciation of the name whether it is spelled with an H or without is Wanganui. The supposed H is silent.

The Wanganui coast can be rough at times , like any exposed coast, but it also can be very nice. Its a real beach. I love it.

Indeed, but because the iwi insisted that the H be put in, the media are calling it Fonganui, which is incorrect. Thus they have homogenised the language rather than retain a local dialect.

In an oral language, a mispronounciation is surely a greater error than a 'misspelling'.

(I started writing Fonganui to ire a friend who used Whanganui to ire me)

Anyway, this is way off topic.

Indeed, but because the iwi insisted that the H be put in, the media are calling it Fonganui, which is incorrect. Thus they have homogenised the language rather than retain a local dialect.

In an oral language, a mispronounciation is surely a greater error than a 'misspelling'.

(I started writing Fonganui to ire a friend who used Whanganui to ire me)

Anyway, this is way off topic.

He must get really whakt off at you for that. :D

The pronunciation is different with the H even if it is not "fong." If it upsets the locals you could move down south to Ngai Tahu land and it would be spelt correctly. We have Kowai Point so Wanganui would not be a problem. I am guessing that you still have kowhai trees up your way.

I'd probably pay somewhere between $60-80 depending on howmuch driftwood i could get.

I don't think my coupe would be very suitable for transporting driftwood so i'd either have to tag a long with someone or just get someone to drop some off on the way back to auckland

• 4 weeks later...
I would actually pay for someone to collect some good bits of driftwood :)

Believe it or not if your keen there are already organisations up and down the whole country that have collected driftwood you can buy, they have other stuff too, fish food, fish, tanks....