Aquaponics pond

maxim_nz

Well it's been 4 weeks and 1 day since planting, despite cold temps and a nights snail raiding party the lettuces are doing brilliant. The peppermint doing ok, and basil is still going (probably needs more light)

As a reminder nothing but used goldfish water is feeding these plants (no dirt, just clay balls for grow media)

Here is 28 days growth since planting

DSCF9189.JPG

and a reminder here is 1 days growth

DSCF9138.JPG

The duckweek is going amazing as well, must have scooped out well over 1 square meter of the stuff tonight (duckweek is one of natures best nitrate convertors)

So if I can do it, you can too!

I would have thought that duckweed would slow the plants growth, competing for nutrients etc.

yeah it does/would. I try and keep it to the drain chamber in the grow bed, but it does escape into main pond. Dried and mixed with something (ground up trout pallets etc) it makes excellent fish food.

• 2 months later...

In case anyone cares.. aquaponics pond: mid winter update.

- We ate all the lettuces :thup: they were real good, all off them

- the basil just didn't mature after a promising early start :dunno:

- I added some MINT which has gone haywire with the biggest MINT leaves I've ever seen (my young kids were amazed a plant leaf tastes like toothpaste!)

- I added chives, which adds a little zest to those few winter salads, and they have ballooned out heaps.

- And parsley going ok too (which amazes my mother-in-law as her parsley is gone for the winter)

- and also used a fine day to go to Whitemans Valley Goldfish farm to get 20 x new goldfish to help the others grow my tomatoes. They have some :nfs: for sale, and would recommend it. I figured adding another 20 in the middle of winter to the 15 or so current inhabitants wouldn't suddenly overload the bacteria balance given everything is on go slow.. Just need some warmth and sun now! I'm anticipating a huge crop of summer tomatoes

I can post a picture if interested.

yeah, ok it never happened.. :wink:

Some of my new gardeners

DSCF9536.JPG

Goldfish grown MINT leaf with $2 coin for scale

DSCF9531.JPG

It's worth noting again that this is really just an experiment in natural biological filtration, and the edible plants are just a bonus :spop:

DSCF9534.JPG

The is no direct sunlight on the pond at all now, so I'm amazed at what has kept going through these cold months.

Anyone else out there doing something similar?

How big is the pond going to be sam? - digging :digH: with shovel or front end loader ;-) - I think the key with aquaponics is basically concentrated fish in balance with basically the same amount of grow bed and bacteria as there is water. Aquaponics does not scale as well as basic hydroponics and it seems to work better in smaller (say 4000 gallon) tanks than huge if you are digging it out with your grandads D2 bulldozer..

I'm using a shovel. The pond is about 3m X 5m wide and 1m deep with a small island in the middle. I am taking my time getting the shape right. The only thing I'm not quite sure about is how much light to let in for the plants and the right amount of algae for oxygen levels. It is nice and cool where it is and there is a constant flow of water, so I would imagine it would cope with a high amount of algae, but on the other hand, I don't want the water temp to be too high for the fish in the middle of summer. I guess I will find out when the pond is finished and then thin the trees 1 at a time until I get it right. I hope to have it finished and planted out by the middle of summer.

Sam: pond construction sounds great. got any pictures to share of that or your pond goldfish/nznatives?

(what does flow of water mean to pond you are digging? - aquaponics should be a complete closed cycle system ie: very water efficient)

My pond is a little different, as I am using a small stream and wish to use the flow to deliver the fishy water to the plants that will be on the island and have watercress and other water plants around the edge. I intend to use the Banded Kokopu, Shrimp and Koura that are already there.I will take a picture of how it looks to post later today. 8)

Can you dig it?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Aquaponics Pond Update 2/10/2011

------------------------------------

Things still growing well :-) Still getting mint/fresh parsley and chives for salad additions about 3 times a week, so uncontrolled growth would be a lot more than these photos. Finally getting good daily sun on pond

Goldfish grown mint leaves for scale: This is one of the largest I have not eaten yet and holds the weight of a 20 cent coin without bending.

DSCF9783.JPG

This is the new growbed I am building up for tomatoes

DSCF9791.JPG

and tomatoes raised from seed (which germinated well under the fluros of the tropical tank)

DSCF9797.JPG

There is every kind of tomato growing in this, from purple russian to scrap anything seeds off the kids plates

Fish (around 50+ goldfish doing well, and water quality and clarity has been superb) cats drink it as well.

DSCF9794.JPG

Strawberries growing in milk bottles (yet to get pump for full height strawberry tower)

DSCF9785.JPG

Bought the "flowering semi aquatic plant" from bunnings.. it's gone flower crazy

DSCF9789.JPG

Lastly: Overall pic of original growbed

DSCF9784.JPG

This still requires almost zero maintainance, a small top up of water once a month or two. You just feed this fish, nitrifying bacteria does the rest.

That's quite amazing!

how does it fare in the winter cold?

Answer "S'no problem"

Yes, I did throw 2 large sheets of polystyrene over the pond to keep the snow out on 17th August 2011 (it was like a Christmas card at our place) and I had a 300W heater in pond on lowest setting to "try' and keep fish alive. Result: no fish deaths, plants got flattened somewhat by snow, but a few days after you couldn't tell. I think pond dropped to about 6C at lowest point.

Have you ever tried to kill mint anyway? (apparently seasoned aquaponics nerds never plant mint anyway, or keep it really tightly boxed in..) I've trimmed mine right back now to give strawberries and tomatoes some space and light. Got tons of it anyway, just chucked it out via compost bin..

Good work mate! Got to LOVE the mint for its survival qualities. I'm right into choosing my weeds. Planting usefull things like mint to overgrow kaikuia etc. It likes a good chop back too. Grows lovely fresh leaves afterwards. I'm about to plant zambos and gourds into a floating container in my fish pond. I'm really happy, this year there are so many frogs. Has anyone else noticed a frog population boom? :thup: